There are several ways to upload media to Wikimedia Commons.
- 1 Integrated tools
- 2 Standalone desktop applications
- 3 Image software extension
- 4 Smartphone applications
- 5 Transfer tools
- 6 Command-line tools
- 7 See also
The default tool, accessible from the « Upload a file » link in the left menu.
Possible customisation: default license in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-uploads
An advanced tool that allows GLAMs to automatically upload large batches of digital versions of their collections.
Standalone desktop applications
Commonist is a Java program for easy upload of larger numbers of images to Wikimedia Commons and other MediaWiki installations.
- http://neonstau.de/commonist/ — download page (no download necessary with Java Web Start installed)
- Information and discussion
VicuñaUploader is a free tool written in Java designed to upload files to Wikimedia Commons and other Wikimedia projects. It is a bit similar to Commonist but has some more functionality and different user interface.
Image software extension
- Further information: Wikimedia Mobile Projects
Upload to Commons with Android
A free Android app is available for uploading images directly from the mobile phone to Commons. (Android 2.3+ operating system required). The tool can be found at the Market. You may adapt it for your own purposes using the GNU source code from github.
Upload to Commons with iPhone
Needed images tours
Via the Unvisited app.
Uploading from Flickr
There are various tools to help upload files from Flickr.
- Flickr upload bot - The standard upload bot. Makes uploading with all the correct info much easier.
- Flickr2Commons - This one is faster than the main Flickr upload bot (which can move really slowly occasionally and takes more clicks as it requires you to edit the image page), however a [User:Odie5533/F2ComButton TUSC login] is needed here and it adds a bunch of useless and redundant categories (but this one automatically adds geolocation information).
- F2ComButton - A tool which adds buttons to Flickr to easily upload images yourself or using Magnus's tool.
- Flinfo - For people who want to upload Flickr pictures by themselves.
- FlickrLickr - A collaborative vetting process for selecting free (Creative Commons CC-BY) photos from Flickr, improving their metadata, and uploading them to Commons. No longer maintained and no new accounts will be created.
- Upload Wizard - If you are an administrator or image reviewer, you can import images and photosets from Flickr via the Upload Wizard.
Upload from other projects
This page will generate code that you can copy and paste when moving an image from a Wikipedia to Commons. Note that you still need to verify the source and only transfer images that have reasonable licenses. You also still need to give the image a category, although the assistant is hooked up to CommonSense, so it can suggest them at the same time. Developed by User:Magnus Manske.
Upload by URL
User's with the upload_by_url right (Image reviewers, Admins, GWToolset users), can directly transfer images from another website (If its on the whitelist) via the API
It is possible to upload using command-line tools.
- derivativeFX tool for helping with upload of images derivative of other commons images;