There are several ways to upload media to Wikimedia Commons.
- 1 Integrated tools
- 2 Standalone desktop applications
- 3 Image software extension
- 4 Smartphone applications
- 5 Transfer tools
- 6 Command-line tools
- 7 See also
The default tool, accessible from the « Upload a file » link in the left menu.
Possible customisation: default license in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-uploads
An advanced tool that allows GLAMs to automatically upload large batches of digital versions of their collections.
Standalone desktop applications
Commonist is a Java program for easy upload of larger numbers of images to Wikimedia Commons and other MediaWiki installations.
- http://neonstau.de/commonist/ — download page (no download necessary with Java Web Start installed)
- Information and discussion
VicuñaUploader is a free tool written in Java designed to upload files to Wikimedia Commons and other Wikimedia projects. It is a bit similar to Commonist but has some more functionality and different user interface.
ComeOn! is a free tool written in Java to upload pictures to Wikimedia Commons with extended support for JPEG metadata and its use in page templates. It is currently in beta mode but stable.
Image software extension
A plugin for Adobe Lightroom that lets you export files to MediaWiki. Currently in beta state.
- Further information: Wikimedia Mobile Projects
Upload to Commons with Android
A free Android app is available for uploading images directly from the mobile phone to Commons. (Android 2.3+ operating system required). The tool can be found at the Market. You may adapt it for your own purposes using the GNU source code from github.
Upload to Commons with iPhone
Needed images tours
Via the Unvisited app.
Uploading from Flickr
There are various tools to help upload files from Flickr.
- Flickr2Commons - Tool to easily upload single and multiple files from Flickr to Commons. This tool uses OAuth to upload files to Commons.
- F2ComButton - A tool which adds buttons to Flickr to easily upload images yourself or using Magnus's tool.
- Flinfo - For people who want to upload Flickr pictures by themselves.
- FlickrLickr - A collaborative vetting process for selecting free (Creative Commons CC-BY) photos from Flickr, improving their metadata, and uploading them to Commons. No longer maintained and no new accounts will be created.
- Upload Wizard - If you are an administrator or image reviewer, you can import images and photosets from Flickr via the Upload Wizard.
Upload from other projects
This page will generate code that you can copy and paste when moving an image from a Wikipedia to Commons. Note that you still need to verify the source and only transfer images that have reasonable licenses. You also still need to give the image a category, although the assistant is hooked up to CommonSense, so it can suggest them at the same time. Developed by User:Magnus Manske.
Upload by URL
User's with the
upload_by_url right (Image reviewers, Admins, GWToolset users), can directly transfer images from another website (If its on the whitelist) via the API or via Special:Upload. With the Upload Wizard it is possible to upload files from Flickr.
It is possible to upload using command-line tools.
- derivativeFX tool for helping with upload of images derivative of other commons images;