Commons:VIAF inter project linking
VIAF inter project linking is a method to link between various web sites using Virtual International Authority File (VIAF) numbers. The keyword "VIAF" followed by the corresponding numbers are visible to site visitors, supported by local and / or via google search functins.
The method how to reach the authors page should be known and should require a few clicks only. In a later stage it should be possible to access these pages directly by knowing a simple url scheeme where the VIAF number is included.
Examples for Anne Frank which as an assigen VIAF number (VIAF: 27064673)
- Wikipedia in German languages provides a toolserver help link.; From there it is one click to the article.
- Wikipedia in Esperanto has a redirect page (eo:project:Bibliotekoj/VIAF:27064673) using the VIAF number.
- For the book catalog site LibraryThing a "Common Knowledge" field was used to allow linking via an internal search function q=VIAF:27064673.
Authority control data are entered to MW pages by variants of the template:Authority control. For many users outside the German language projects this are quite new topics (see talk page). Authority control datas are sensitive datas please do not copy them between projects without visual check (in German "Sichtung").
A bookmarklet and and also a Greasemonkey script (deprecated)translations were developed by T.Gries for this type of work. The code is located at the place where WikiMedia software and tools are availalbe. Examples on how to identify missing authority file datas will follow.
Special thanks to all translators, "cleaners" and to all helpers during the startup. Their comments, specification / usage clarifications, data correction / data cleanup made it possible to start and to continue from now on this work together.
- als: • talk : 466 google hits
- arz: • talk :
- bar: • talk :
- de: • talk : with online statistics at [:de:template:NORMDATENCOUNT] 155,357 "Person data" records (using various templates)
- en: • talk : 1,784 pages about persons using the template
- eo: • talk : 242 pages using the template, ability for "nwbies" to mark pages for later addition of authority data by experienced users
- es: • talk :
- fr: • talk : more than 19,000 pages
- ja: • talk : 95 google hits
- ja: • talk: 12 google hits
- no: • talk : 339 google hits
- no: • talk : 6 google hits
- ro: • talk : 328 pages about persons using the template
- ru: • talk : 125 google hits
- yi: • talk : 42 pages using the template, ability for "nwbies" to mark pages for later addition of authority data by experienced users
- commons: • talk : 602 google hits
- external chess site teleschach.de Sparkassen Chess Meeting 2011 - Teilnehmer
- external Espranto library bretaro.net eo:project:Bibliotekoj/Ekzemplo kiamaniere kunligi movadan bibliotekon 21 google hits
- de:Wikipedia:WikiConvention/Programm/VIAF/Online Arbeitsbeispiel zum Thema Schach (linking chess authors to LibraryThing)
- 481 distinct VIAF numbers used for author linking to LibraryThing
- 4 distinct PND numbers used for author linking to LibraryThing
Anybody working or being interested on topics as authority control data, knowledge propagation, improvements and new ideas as well as all the specialists on semantic web, the tool designer, the mw developers are very welcome. We should pay attention to smaller / small language communities which do neither have the manpower nor many language speakers to focus on technological issues.
If you do not know where to show your interest leave your signature here
Put four ~ on a new line as per Wikipedia:Signatures
- 03.05.2012 A bookmarklet is now available which does not require Greasemonkey any more. It has been tested working with Firefox 12, Chrome, and Internet Explorer 8.0.
- 11:10, 24 September 2011 (UTC): The new release of the Greasemonkey-Skript providing provides PND support for PND:118534734 • gnd/118534734 • http://d-nb.info/gnd/118534734 etc.
- 09:37, 9 September 2011 (UTC): The new release of the Greasemonkey-Skript providing tooltip author names for VIAF numbers will be available tonigt.
- 08:51, 8 September 2011 (UTC): availability of a set of two new tools authority control data for a given person and authority control data for a random person (with neihter authority control data nor known PND)
- category:VIAF inter project linking (preliminary link collection)
- commons:VIAF inter project linking/Tools · VIAF bookmarklet installation page
- template talk:Authority control
- (oters ...)
References / notes
- Adding the template / Changes to the functionality mainly depend on community consensus. Many functions are still under evaluation and documentation is poor or completly missing.