Commons talk:Ancient Chinese characters project
Massiv PNG upload for Clerical and Kaishu
Hello Erin, I can make quickly image.png (using a font and a script) of the 1.000 commonest characters, in Clerical and in Kaishu style (traditionnal and simplified). I even can make the 2.000 commonests, allways in .png.
3 questions :
- This is a wide copy of an existent font, which [USA] laws apply on this kind of work ?
- How upload quickly 2 thousand files ? Scripts are welcome, who can do this ?
- PNG or SVG : We can do this 2.000 x 2 = 4.000 files in SVG, but that will need 30 seconde by file [Open-vectorisation-save-close], I think it's not convenient to do it. Scripts are welcome but I'm unable to do this.
- I don't think such images should be uploaded as PNGs. I think that SVG versions may not be necessary either. Kaishu and Lishu are scripts in use today, with ordinary fonts commonly available to view them. I think there would probably be a big copyright problem too. — Erin (talk) 15:30, 13 August 2006 (UTC)
- After reading Wikipedia:Public domain, I think you'd be fine in uploading the Clerical and Kaishu characters. Uploading in PNG is apparently the safer choice, as "a rasterized representation (e.g. bitmap) of the characters in a scalable font is not protected by copyright in the United States", but I think even an SVG might be acceptable. – Minh Nguyễn (talk, contribs) 06:34, 27 January 2007 (UTC)
Character need : the 12 animals of China
You are asking for old character to upload first, I think this little list should be nice because beautifully "Chinese".
en:Chinese astrology :
- 鼠 Rat, 牛 Ox, 虎 Tiger, 兔 Rabbit, 龍 Dragon, 蛇 Snake, 馬 Horse, 羊 Goat, 猴 Monkey, 雞 Rooster, 狗 Dog, 豬 Pig
And the natural elements :
Supersed Gif images to delete
Yes, quite! Thanks for doing this work. I was way stoked to find some of your svgs. Keep it up, I'm sure lots of people are as stoked as I am with your efforts. Dann Dempsey (talk) 16:48, 13 August 2009 (UTC)
Where are files?
Hi, I'm new to wikimedia and I saw this project, which looks cool. I read the tutorial on creating SVG files and would like to try some but I don't know how to find what has already been done (so I would know which ones to do) or to use the results of work already done. Is there a directory somewhere with the files?
Reference of this project
These are reference used in this project:
- 細說漢字部首 左民安 ISBN 7801953568
Visualizing the work done !
- Ancient Chinese characters/order
- Ancient Chinese characters/red
- Ancient Chinese characters/bronze
- Ancient Chinese characters/oracle
- Ancient Chinese characters/seal
- Ancient Chinese characters/bigseal
- Ancient Chinese characters/songti
- Ancient Chinese characters/kaishu
- Ancient Chinese characters/clerical
Great book on Oracle bone Script
高岛谦一 甲骨文字字释综览 it's out there on the web on pdf.