Commons talk:Picture of the Year/2007/Committee/Archive
- 1 Not only for the comittee
- 2 Separate variable information in subpages
- 3 Usernames with underscores
- 4 Image:FIRE 01.JPG is missing from Miscellaneous
- 5 I am not User:O
- 6 Crash
- 7 Image without check visible
- 8 List of voters truncated?
- 9 Unhandled Exception
- 10 Where are the pictures?
- 11 Voter list incomplete?
- 12 This contest sucks
- 13 Banner
- 14 Unexpected "Server error" trying to get the "Vote token"
- 15 A maybe problem and need some help
- 16 You appear to have not yet requested a token
- 17 Missing Vote Checkboxes
- 18 Impossible to remove all votes in a given category
Not only for the comittee
We need to make sure that the promotion and the vote checking is not only done by the committee. And if people are interested in joining, I would like to have few extra comittee members. -- Bryan (talk to me) 21:47, 31 October 2007 (UTC)
- Well how will the results look from your system? I would hope it can do some simple tallying... if not we can publish anonymised votes.
- As for members of course I want others to join too. MichaelMaggs, I think, said he was interested but didn't want to have to give up voting. So I am wondering if it's acceptable if comm members can vote? --pfctdayelise (说什么?) 04:32, 1 November 2007 (UTC)
- The results are in a MySQL database, so all kind of statistics are easy to generate (is it less likely for people to vote on creepy insects during night than during day) that is not a problem.
- I would prefer comittee members not to vote.. It would else sound like some conflict of interest to me. -- Bryan (talk to me) 11:45, 1 November 2007 (UTC)
- Or maybe let's do it this way: A small committee and more assistants. The committee won't vote, the assistants can. Both will in fact do the same, get access to the mailing list, poke translators, help out users, detect fraud, etc. Except that the assistants won't get access to the private vote data. -- Bryan (talk to me) 20:28, 1 November 2007 (UTC)
- I'm willing to help in the non-core category. Can place announcements on meta: and en: as appropriate. — xaosflux Talk 19:51, 17 November 2007 (UTC)
- en.wp, en.wb well covered
- en.wikt - User:Connel MacKenzie
- en.wn - user:bawolff
- en.ws - user:jayvdb
- en.wq - ?
Enwikiquote was informed by Herby (thanks!). I'll later forward the announcement to wikiquote-l. Also, I'm pleased to add Miya noticed wikija-l in Japanese. --Aphaia 18:16, 8 January 2008 (UTC)
Separate variable information in subpages
I separated the bloks with variable information in 3 subpages:
- Commons:Picture of the Year/2007/Committee/core members
- Commons:Picture of the Year/2007/Committee/non-core members
- Commons:Picture of the Year/2007/Committee/announcements
and already updated the committee pages in all languages (+ added lang template). Cheers!--Kaganer 15:20, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
Usernames with underscores
If your username has a space ("Foo Bar"), you should enter it at Commons:Picture of the Year/2007/Voting with a space and not an underscore.
- Note that this underscore must be kept and accepted in the user account part of an email address you keep for the token validation. The set of characters before the '@' character is not the same as for the domain name, and it has less restrictions. See the RFCs or relevant good libraries fopr validating email addresses correctly, if this is what causes the server application to generate unexpected errors. So don't "translate" an underscore present in any email address into a space, because you'll most probably break things; if you want to create list of email addresses in your database, delimit them with quotation marks, or commas or semicolon, spaces, angle brackets or parentheses, but don't use the underscore as a separator in such a list. Verdy p 07:09, 12 January 2008 (UTC)
Image:FIRE 01.JPG is missing from Miscellaneous
Image:FIRE 01.JPG is present on the wiki gallery but missing from the software gallery.
I selected a few images from the Arthropods 1 category, and when submitting I got a big error page ending with
OperationalError: (2001, "Can't create UNIX socket (24)")
args = (2001, "Can't create UNIX socket (24)")
I would post the full page, but there is a visible password for name 'name': 'Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year 2007' . I can be contacted at en:User:ReyBrujo if I don't reply quickly here. -- ReyBrujo 13:11, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
- Wait, here is the original non-formatted traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "build/bdist.solaris-2.10-i86pc/egg/flup/server/fcgi_base.py", line 558, in run File "build/bdist.solaris-2.10-i86pc/egg/flup/server/fcgi_base.py", line 1116, in handler File "index.py", line 90, in __call__ return self.run(*args) File "index.py", line 50, in run self.database = database.Database(self.config['table_prefix'], self.config['mysql']) File "/projects/poty/www/script/database.py", line 8, in __init__ File "build/bdist.solaris-2.10-i86pc/egg/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 74, in Connect File "build/bdist.solaris-2.10-i86pc/egg/MySQLdb/connections.py", line 170, in __init__ OperationalError: (2001, "Can't create UNIX socket (24)")
- Hope that helps. -- ReyBrujo 13:13, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
Image without check visible
Under Category:Constructions, the image The Svyato Mikhailovsky Cathedral in Ischewsk, Republic of Udmurtia in Russia has such a long title (4 lines) that leaves the check invisible (Linux Ubuntu - Firefox 18.104.22.168). The only way to get it visible is to press the tab key until giving it focus (which scrolls the thumbnail upwards). I believe this gives less chance for the image to be voted. -- ReyBrujo 14:07, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
- Renamed to "Svyato Mikhailovsky Cathedral in Ischewsk" -- Bryan (talk to me) 14:36, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
List of voters truncated?
Not sure if it should be reported here, but apparently the list is too long. At the bottom, it reads
# Palnatoke@commons.wikimedia.org has voted in category Plants Something went wrong! Please report this error! The administrators can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
-- ReyBrujo 14:51, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
I registered two days ago (jan. 08). I have received the ticket email, with a link to the vote page, but I didn't vote at this time.
Now, when I click on the link, I arrive on a page which only contains :
An unhandled exception was thrown by the application.
Sémhur 17:54, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
- The same happened to me today. - Al Lemos 18:38, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
- Ditto. ++Lar: t/c 19:00, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
So, and me Przykuta 19:51, 10 January 2008 (UTC)I've changed language preferences for this voting from pl to en, but other users from pl wikis have voted without this problem. Przykuta 21:29, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
- I have the same problem, and I've been a member for over 8 months... /Natox 19:56, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
- It's OK for me now. I have re-confirmed my email address, get a voting token again, and then it works. Sémhur 22:30, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
Where are the pictures?
Commons:Featured Picture Candidates informed me of the competition and provided a link to Commons:Picture of the Year/2007 but there are no pictures to vote on. Where are the pictures? Fg2 21:46, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
- Voting information is here and the galleries are here --Boricuæddie 22:07, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
Voter list incomplete?
(from VP) I've just left a message on the voting talk page. Looks like there's a glitch in the software. My name appeared on the list of voters last night right after I voted, but doesn't show up now. Is this just a problem with display or are you losing data? Durova 19:58, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
This contest sucks
There are way way way too many great images, and I wasted a lot of time oohing and aaahing about nature, fish, birds, diagrams, you name it, and it is just way way way too hard to pick even half of the category as better than the other half, so I must protest.. plus there are so MANY categories to vote on, how am I supposed to get any work done? ++Lar: t/c 01:51, 11 January 2008 (UTC)
- You'll live. ;) (It would be good to keep this page for real problems :)) pfctdayelise (说什么?) 12:04, 11 January 2008 (UTC)
As far as I can see the POTY-Banner ist to be seen just in the English version of the Commons main page, but not in the translated main pages. Unfortunately the link on the German wikipedia main page for example goes directly to the German translated Commons main page where nothing about the election can be found. I suppose it's the same with the other wikis. --22.214.171.124 12:41, 11 January 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks for pointing this out. We forgot to put up the banners. Now they are up on all the main pages that have translations of the banner (including German). --pfctdayelise (说什么?) 13:25, 11 January 2008 (UTC)
Unexpected "Server error" trying to get the "Vote token"
I just changed termporarily my option to receive emails from other users, just in order to get the Voting token. When clicking the button to get the Voting token, it just does not work, the server displays an internal error... And no email received! Verdy p 06:32, 12 January 2008 (UTC)
- Hmmm... Now I receive the email token, but also get the same error when following the link sent by email:
- (I replaced the token value by "(...)")
- The error message is the same and says:
- Server Error
- This server has encountered an internal error which prevents it from fulfilling your request. The most likely cause is a misconfiguration. Please ask the administrator to look for messages in the server's error log.
- Server Error
- Really, the system does not work. Where then can we vote? We can just look at the galeries. Verdy p 06:34, 12 January 2008 (UTC)
- Really, given the very small period given for round 1 (7 days), and the fact that the system is completely broken since already more than 2 days, the period will have to be reschuled, if some have been able to vote for a few images.
- For now, the system really does not work, and it should not even be announced on the Commons Main page, as it's simply impossible to do anything. Verdy p 07:02, 12 January 2008 (UTC)
- Hi Verdy p, sorry you have had troubles. I restarted the software and it should work now. Please try following the link in your email again.
- After it "breaks" everyone who tries to use it will get an error message until it gets restarted, which only Bryan and I can do. So there may be periods like just now where neither of us is online and can respond right away. I apologise for the delay, but nearly 300 people have voted so far so I don't think it is a totally broken system. thanks, pfctdayelise (说什么?) 07:12, 12 January 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks fpor correcting. This already occured several times in the last 2 days I tried, but I wanted to signal the problem becauies I just noted that the vote period was very short and I could no longer wait. Anyway, if you still experiment too frequent problem, it would be useful to extend the vote period for one more week, because these problems may have affected many that did not even noticed them to you. Give them second chance to participate. Thanks. Verdy p 08:23, 12 January 2008 (UTC)
This has been
--Kushan I.A.K.J 12:38, 12 January 2008 (UTC)
A maybe problem and need some help
Hello,--Mbz1 23:37, 13 January 2008 (UTC)
When I voted I have not realized that I could vote for as many images as I want. When I found out about this, I wanted to add some new votes. I rembered that, when I got the invitation e-mail there was a link to where to go, if I'd like to change my vote:
So, I requested one more invitation e-mail and I've got it once again with the link to the votes. As you know the e-mail states:
"This link will only work one time."
I've decided to check it out and I clicked at the link. It worked for me just fine. Of course I have not voted, but it is intersting that the link worked. Maybe, if I did vote, it would have not counted my votes, but as I said I've never tried to vote again. So, maybe some problem here. I'd like to add that both time, when I voted and when I was able to vote, but did not, I was at the same IP and of course with the same username.
Now about the help I'd like to get. I'd like to add some more votes, but I'm not sure what images I voted for already. I wonder, if it could be done to remove all the votes I've made and let me vote again with a fresh start or maybe, if I vote for an image two times, it will automaticly disregard my second vote?Thank you.
- Figured out how it works.--Mbz1 13:19, 14 January 2008 (UTC)
You appear to have not yet requested a token
When I follow the link I received in my mailbox, I get this message : "You appear to have not yet requested a token. Please follow the instructions on the voting page to obtain one." I've already tried 3 or 4 times and I always got the same message. Shakki 17:05, 14 January 2008 (UTC)
- Hmm... I guess you have cookies enabled because you're logged into Commons, right... pfctdayelise (说什么?) 00:39, 15 January 2008 (UTC)
- Thank you all for your help. I've been able to vote ! :) Shakki 19:18, 15 January 2008 (UTC)
Missing Vote Checkboxes
Impossible to remove all votes in a given category
Hey, I just noticed a fairly significant problem today: it appears to be impossible to remove your votes for all images in a given category once you've voted on at least one; unchecking all the checkboxes and clicking on "Submit" does not update your vote. -- Schnee 18:59, 16 January 2008 (UTC)