Ghémar Freres, Photographes du Roi, 27, Rue de l'Ecuyer, Bruxelles
Belgian Ghémar Freres, Photographes du Roi, 27, Rue de l'Ecuyer, Bruxelles.
The photo studio of the two brothers Ghémar was the most renowned Belgian photostudio in the period 1855-1870.
In 1855 Louis Ghémar (1820-1873) opened a photostudio in Brussels, next to the studio of Jules Géruzet.
In the beginning Louis Ghémar worked together with Robert Sévérin. Sévérin took the photos and Ghémar made the retouches and eventually colours the photos. But Sévérin left Brussles and was replaced by Louis Ghémars halfbrother, Léon Auverlaux. From then on the name of the studio was changed to Ghémar Frères.
Louis Ghémar died in 1873 but the studio kept the name Ghémar Frères until 1894 when Géruzet takes over the studio, including all the negatives of Ghémar.