Commons' search engine generally works the same as the search engine on Wikipedia. For help with using the search engine, you can visit the English Wikipedia search help page (which is particularly detailed), or the same help page on other Wikipedias.
Working search enhancements on the Commons
- intitle: and prefix: and other search options are activated on Commons search. For info on how to use them go to en:Help:Searching and scroll down to the section on search engine features.
- Long image and file names in categories can be activated in preferences in the gadget tab: Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-gadgets
- Search suggestions and search results can be set to open in new browser tabs: MediaWiki talk:Search-results-new-tab.js
- You can search in a namespace non searched by default by prepending your keyword with the name of the namespace (function provided by mw:Extension:SearchExtraNS since 2013-02-25).
Proposed search enhancements for the Commons
- Help:Image searching
- mw:User:Rainman/search internals
- Commons:Editor's index to Commons#Search (COM:EIC#Search) - more search-related entries in the Editor's index
- See interlanguage links on the left side pane for other languages
- Search through categories: see Commons:Categories#Tools
- Commons:Bugs#Search - Bugzilla requests.