Broken thumbnail purge
I finally have easy working solution for thumbnail purging
Several times I uploaded new versions of some files but the latest thumbnails of the files still showed old file versions (and these old file versions were still shown in some articles as well). I tried some proposed solutions for this, like image page purging, but nothing worked. Then, I tried to purge thumbnail itself and I solved the problem. So, if anybody else have problem with the latest thumbnail which show old image version, here is very easy solution for that:
- 1. right mouse click on latest thumbnail on image page (the one which show old image version instead new)
- 2. click on "Copy Image Address"
- 3. paste image address in new window
- 4. add text ?action=purge on the end of that address
- 5. press Enter and the thumbnail is purged and it will show the latest image version.
- Note, that doesn't actually purge stuff. It causes the squid cache to be bypassed just for that specific request (because the caching servers don't recognize the url with action=purge at the end), it won't affect the image displayed in other places.Bawolff (talk)
Alternative to advanced purge
An alternative procedure to the "advanced purge" listed on this page that accomplishes the same thing but which I find slightly easier to remember
- Find the url for the image thumbnail which is outdated and add ?clearcache=<randomnumber> at the end. Visit that url.
- For example, if https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Example.svg/100px-Example.svg.png was showing outdated results, go to https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Example.svg/100px-Example.svg.png?clearcache=431243125214312879 . Use a different random number every time you do this procedure.
- Then visit the image description page, and put ?action=purge at the end (For the example image, visit https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Example.svg?action=purge
If there are images that are still showing outdated versions after doing this procedure (or the other procedure with thumb.php), I'd appreciate hearing about it (Send me a note on my talk page including what image it is, and what specific size is showing as outdated). Bawolff (talk) 08:24, 1 February 2013 (UTC)