This Template is intended to complement Template:Information.
I would like to add location data to images. So new services will be possible later. E.g. "Show me all images in a radius of 50 km to my position." or "Show me all pictures of museums within 100 km." If this data will be available, I think new stuff hence unimaginable will become possible. It is basically the extension of the good work of WikiProjekt Georeferenzierung towards images or other media. It will be a lot of work, and I don't know if others would be interested. But it is worth a try.
It should be added to the image description pages on top of Template:Information. Else, the data would appear at the bottom beneath the licence information and could not possibly be found. It is too specialised to be included in the Template:Information itself. So, many times it would simply be left open without data, to the detriment of the appearance of the Template.
Longbow4u 14:14, 22 April 2006 (UTC)
Example for use
The example is for a landmark in the region Germany (DE), Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen NI). By scale you request the mapping program to render the map in a scale of 1/5000.) Information attributes on landmark and region should always be added. Scale is an optional parameter and is not necessarily required. To find adequate parameters for other regions of the Earth, please look at the project pages in the English Wikipedia (w:en:Wikipedia:WikiProject Geographical coordinates or in the German Wikipedia (w:de:Wikipedia:WikiProjekt Georeferenzierung).
Dead blue ball
- A lot of links were changed yesterday from toolserver to toollabs. I might have missed something (I forgot about the "blue ball" and did not test it) or something not working right on toollabs. I will look into it. --Jarekt (talk) 14:18, 2 July 2014 (UTC)
- Ugh, the blue ball map should work. Something/someone f&^$ed up the config files for apache2 on labs. Fixed now. --Dschwen (talk) 17:10, 3 July 2014 (UTC)
Quotation marks problem
It looks like this template doesn't handle files with names containing quotation marks, see File:Spinnekop molen "De Wicher" in de Weerribben 1.jpg. Can someone look into that? LittleWink (talk) 17:04, 8 July 2014 (UTC)
- I will. Thanks for reporting this issue. --Jarekt (talk) 18:00, 8 July 2014 (UTC)
Der Satz weitere Bilder auf OpenStreetMap - Google Maps - Google Earth sollte auf weitere Bilder bis zum 30. November 2013 auf OpenStreetMap - Google Maps - Google Earth geändert werden, da alle jüngeren Bilder nicht angezeigt werden und ein Ende dieses Problems nicht absehbar ist. --störfix (talk) 07:26, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
- Can someone translate? Google Translate version is not clear. --Jarekt (talk) 11:45, 4 September 2014 (UTC)
- pictures younger than 2014-11-30 are not on the GeoCommons layer for OpenStreetMap, Google maps or Google Earth. This information should be given by the text.  --störfix (talk) 15:54, 4 September 2014 (UTC)