User:Thumbnails Check Bot
- Bot is deactivated and no more used
- Creator/Operator: Slick
- Details of the bot's task: check recently uploaded files and if not found a thumbnail add a maintenance category for human review
- Automatically or manually operated?: automatically
- When does it operate?: several times a day (or when it is started manually)
- Maximum edit rate: not much, depend on files with missing thumbnails, I guess on high load no more than 20 edits/day
- Language: bash/python
The bot is still in development and so the bot flag is not requested yet.
The bot scans all new files (older than 48 hours) and does a HTTP HEAD request on the 120px thumbnail. If there is not a HTTP status code 200 (successful), it sleeps some time and tries again. If this second test fails too, it adds Category:Possibly files without thumbnails detected by bot to this file.
It may happen that in the file history you can read the HTTP status code. Explanation:
- HTTP status code 500 → The server told the bot there was a script error, so we can assume there was not a valid thumbnail.
- HTTP status code 503 → The server was busy and was not able to deliver the requested thumbnail, so we are not sure about the file and suggest the file needs a human review. (Often, all was in best order.)
Not all, but the important code: