User:Open Access Media Importer Bot
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
- Some background as well as the basic features of the bot are described in this blog post.
- Bot request
- Operator: Daniel Mietchen
- Motivation (in German, with English summary)
- Tasks: upload multimedia files from suitably licensed scholarly articles (gallery; usage, view stats)
- Home category: Category:Uploaded with Open Access Media Importer (Related changes)
- Mode: run automatically
- Time of operation: continuously
- Maximum edit rate: 6 edits per minute
- Code: https://github.com/erlehmann/open-access-media-importer
- Language: Python
- Funded by Wikimedia Deutschland as part of the Wissenswert 2011 initiative
- The delay between publication of an article and it being indexed in PubMed Central varies between a few days and a few months (not counting embargoes, which do not apply to Wikimedia-compatibly licensed content anyway).
- Most articles indexed in PubMed Central are not in the Open Access Subset. For an idea how many articles are indexed in the Open Access Subset on a given day, see the data for March 1.
- Most articles in the Open Access Subset are not licensed compatibly with reuse on Wikimedia Commons.
- Only a small minority of the suitably licensed articles in the Open Access Subset have audio or video files associated with them.
- The delay between a suitably licensed article being indexed in the Open Access Subset and its video and audio materials being uploaded here is typically around a day or two, but can in rare cases be hours or years.
- The usefulness and completeness of the information used for file conversion, descriptions and categories varies by publisher, journal, article and file. Some more details here.
Accelerating Science Award
- A blog post presenting all finalists with a brief text and a video (the videos are also available on Commons)
- The announcement of the winners (video of the award ceremony)
- An interview with the operator of this bot