- For more informations consult ShareMap user manual
- To see ShareMap in action take a look to recorder screencasts
- Map animation/timeline feature (2012-07)
- Natural Earth import queries (2012-07)
- New tutorial - Warping Natural Earth maps with GDAL, Read tutorial (2012-02-15)
- Article about ShareMap.org was published on GIS Lounge website. Read article
- New interface for exporting to Wikimedia Commons and Wikitravel. Use "Export Map For Wikipedia" button. (2011-11-14)
- Creating map with vector background from Open Street Map vector background (video tutorial, CC licensed) (2011-11-13)
- More informations... (2011-08-01)
Opinions, bugs, improvements, feature requests 
We are open for your ideas - please add them on this page
Map creation tutorial 
Video map creation tutorial can be be found here
Create a map with OpenStreetMap data
As an example a road gritting map for the West Midlands, UK: http://sharemap.org/public/Grit%20Map The roads that are to be gritted in winter have an attribute that defines their priority (1 or 2)
This is set up as a public map, so you can simply go on and edit to see how it is put together.
The technical part is using the OpenStreetMap XAPI calls to get the priority 1 and priority 2 datasets - this is how I did it:
1. Create a new Container to import the OSM data into 2. click on the "import from OSM" button 3. You can draw a rectangle to set your bounding box, it is best to do a slow double click 4. You can choose common features to import, but the gritting priorities are a bit specialist so I used the custom XAPI area 5. I entered: http://open.mapquestapi.com/xapi/api/0.6/way[gritting=priority_1][bbox=-2.29209872095745,52.25813715698189,-1.3733670623948984,52.683940414232836]
as you can see you can actually define your bounding box here if you get frustrated with the draw a box function 6. Once it has found some features you can import the features (this puts the raw data into the new container) 7. I then renamed the container to Priority 1 8. I then clicked on one of the lines on the map to change the colour and apply that to all the lines in the Container 9. Saved the map
This was the repeated for priority 2 roads.
You can then embed the map in a webpage:
The main thing is understanding the tags you want to import and using the custom XAPI calls if you need to.
Saving map for wikipedia 
Use "export map for wikipedia button".
Most recent list you will find at
- Google Chrome 10, 11
- Mozilla Firefox 3.5, 4.0
- Internet Explorer 9
- Opera 11
- Apple Safari 4.0, 5.0