From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search


stav and zoshi are planning on travelling around the world in the year 2006 and here are their plans:

late March:

  • meet in Africa: either in Egypt and go East thru Turkey & Greece, or in Morocco and go West thru Spain and France


  • Egypt (Alexandria, Giza), Israel, Lebanon, Syria, Cyprus, Turkey; or ferry from Nuwayba to Jordan and skip Israel
  • Morocco, Spain, France


  • Greece, Albania, Italy


  • Germany (München, Köln) –- Netherlands (visit Violetta, Amsterdam) -– Germany (see Ewa in Hannover, Berlin)


  • Czech Republic (Prag) –- hiking Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland -– Poland (visit Grzegorz;
ecofest at Ananda Putta Bhumi: 15-20.07.2006; Kraków, Zakopane, Kasia in Katowice)

Accomodation in Zakopane <br->(20zl per person + 18 zl for vegetarian breakfast & dinner): <br-> Halina i Władysław Stachoń-Tutoń, os. Stachonie 16a, 34-500 Zakopane - Olcza <br-> (018) 20 118 11, 0603 765 362


  • Russian Federation: trans-siberian railway (Lake Baikal, Mongolia) - Japan
  • Russian Federation: trans-siberian railway

- links:

September / October / November / December:

  • south-east Asia (LP): Burma -- Laos -- Thailand (contact Oom from SLI interns) -- Vietnam -- Cambodia -- Malaysia -- Indonesia


Cairo's Metro system is efficient & inexpensive and, outside rush hours, not too crowded. Increasingly, Cairenes are using private microbuses to get around. Destinations are not marked on microbus routes, so they are tricky to use unless you are familiar with their routes. Overcrowded buses and minibuses are still the most common form of transport for the masses, but for anyone who prefers breathing while travelling, taxis are the only option. By Western standards, taxis are very cheap and there's never one far away. The only time when they aren't the best bet is for long hauls, in which case they can become a little expensive. Don't believe anyone who tells you that there is no bus to the city centre from the airport - there are two, plus a minibus.

The river bus terminal is at Maspero, on the Corniche in front of the big round TV building. Boats depart frequently for University, a landing over on the Giza side of the river, just north of the University Bridge. Every second boat continues south to Manial, Rhoda, Giza and Masr al-Qadima (Old Cairo). The last stop is convenient for Coptic Cairo. Most of Cairo's trams (known to Cairenes, confusingly, as 'metros') have been phased out. One of the few surviving tram lines visitors might use is the one connecting central Cairo to Heliopolis.

The city's major sources of revenue, the Pyramids, Egyptian Museum and Islamic monuments, are also under threat from pollutant-accelerated decay, neglect and downright bad management. While Cairo has five millennia worth of glorious and rich history, the future of the city looks far less grand. Nevertheless, in recent times the numbers of tourists in Cairo have been at an all-time high and hotel prices at a similar peak


A passport and visa are required. Travelers can obtain a renewable, 30-day tourist visa on arrival at Cairo International Airport for USD$15. Proof of yellow fever immunization is required if arriving from an infected area. Evidence of an AIDS test is required for everyone staying over 30 days. Those wishing to visit areas near Egypt's frontiers, including the borders with Libya, Sudan, and Israel and off-road areas in the Sinai, must obtain permission from the Travel Permits Department of the Ministry of the Interior, located at the corner of Sheikh Rihan and Nubar Streets in downtown Cairo.


The U.S. Government strongly urges all Americans resident in or traveling to Egypt to avoid the South Sinai governorate, crowded tourist destinations in Cairo. There have been occurrences of instability or public disorder in some areas of Egypt, most notably in the Nile Valley governorates of Assiut and Sohag, located between Cairo and Luxor. Public mini- and micro-buses are not safe

Weather (current)

Updated: 1:00 AM EEST on September 15, 2005 Observed At: Cairo, Egypt Elevation: 243 ft / 74 m [Clear] 75 °F / 24 °C Humidity: 73%

Weather Summary

January and February (10-20°C/50-68°F) can be overcast with the occasional shower, but the months immediately either side are comfortably warm, with daytime temperatures leavened by breezes. Between March and April, Cairo is occasionally subject to the khamseen, a dry and very dusty wind storm which blows in from the parched Western Desert at up to 150kph


Hostels for under US$2.00 . Sara Inn Hostel 21 Yousef Elgendy St.- cnr. Hoda Sharawy St. is UD$4.50 per person per night so for three days it is only US$27.00

When I was in Cairo I paid US$7 a night for a for a beautiful room right in the town centre. And I ate big meals in first class restaurants for US$2- 5.


The currency of Egypt is pound, divided into 100 piastres. There are almost no coins used in Egypt, as notes start as low as for 5 piastres. The exchange rates are E£10=US$1.60, and US$1=E£6.20 pounds, and E£10=€1.30, and €1=E£7.50


To and from LIBYA: Provided you have a visa, crossing the one border point to Libya, north at Sallum, should be easy, but prepare for a long wait. This journey is done either by bus, or by car.

To and from JORDAN: There are ferries connecting Aqaba in Jordan, and Nuweiba in Egypt. The journey takes around six hours, and covers only 70 km. The price is steep too, close to USD$30 if you go from Egypt, or US$20 if you embark in Aqaba.

To and from SUDAN: The only likely border crossing to Sudan is the Nasser Lake, since the Red Sea road seems to be closed, due to political disagreement on borders and control of territory. There is one ferry a week between Aswan and Wadi Halfa. The 300 km journey takes around 20 hours, and will cost between US$20 and US$30 one way. If this border crossing is part of your journey, ask locals and officials frequently about news on departures.

To and from ISRAEL: Crossing the border between the two countries can be done in one of two points, either on the Mediterranean route, at El Arish, or on the route of Gulf of Aqaba, at Taba. The Mediterranean crossing point is now easier to get through, as you don't go via Gaza anymore. The border zone has been made into a road, and you drive some kilometres along the border before you reach the border post. Normally the process of crossing the border takes 2 hours, equally divided between Egyptian and Israeli border guards. And you pay for everything yourself, if you go from Israel to Egypt, along the Mediterranean route. Around US$1 in Egyptian border tax, and US$10 in Israeli tax. If you go from Egypt to Israel, the same Egyptian tax applies, but nothing has to be paid to enter Israel. If you go along the southern route, things take just as much time, and you pay the same border tax, as in the north.

To and from SAUDI ARABIA: There are infrequent ferries going between Jidda in Saudi Arabia and Suez. If you take this trip, beware that compartments are booked well in advance in the time before, during and just after the hajj. Hajj of 1997 is over by the middle of May, as heavy travelling is concerned. The 1,000 km long trip takes three days, and costs between US$30 and US$50, one way.

To and from EUROPE with ferry: There are several ferries connecting Egypt to Europe. Most of these have Cyprus as last port on the trip to Alexandria or Port Said. Greece is a common place to start this journey, but prices are a bit at the high-end. Do not count on getting below US$150 one way, if you're going from Greece, and if you start in Cyprus, prices will not be very much below the Greek ones.

Israel & the Palestinian Territories[edit]

Most roads into ultra-orthodox Jewish neighborhoods are blocked off on Friday nights and Saturdays. Assaults on secular visitors, either for being in cars or for being "immodestly dressed," have occurred in these neighborhoods.


Isreal : A passport valid for six months beyond duration of stay, an onward or return ticket, and proof of sufficient funds are required for entry. A no-charge, three-month visa may be issued upon arrival and may be renewed. Jordan River Crossing: exit fee of 68 NIS/US$15.


The situation in Israel and the Palestinian Territories remains volatile and, in many parts, dangerous. In particular, the West Bank and Gaza Strip are unsafe; Nablus, Jenin and the Gaza Strip should be considered off-limits, except perhaps for essential daytime travel to Gaza City.

The threat of Palestinian suicide bombings and retaliatory strikes by Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) mean the personal security situation in Israel is not reliable or predictable. Prospective travellers are advised to check consular travel advice. In the Golan Heights, land mines in many areas have not been clearly marked or fenced. Walk only on established roads or trails.

Isolated street protests and demonstrations can occur in the commercial districts of East Jerusalem (Salah Ed-Din Street and Damascus Gate areas) during periods of unrest. U.S. Government American employees are authorized to travel to the Old City, commercial districts of East Jerusalem and the Mount of Olives during daylight hours only.



Passports and visas are required. American citizens coming to Lebanon for tourism can purchase a short-term visa at the border for $35. Fee must be paid by money order payable to the Embassy of Lebanon. Visa requires 1 application form, 2 photos, and cover letter detailing purpose of visit and contacts in Lebanon.

Note: All visa applicants holding an Israeli visa on their passport at time of applying for visa or arrival in Lebanon will not be granted a visa and/or be admitted to Lebanon without the prior approval of the Lebanese Immigration Authorities.

Travelers holding passports that contain visas or entry/exit stamps for Israel will likely be refused entry into Lebanon. Travelers whose passports contain Israeli stamps or visas and who also hold an "Arab nationality" may be subject to arrest and imprisonment.


The political situation in Beirut is tense and travellers should stay informed of consular advice regarding ongoing happenings in the city. The southern border with Israel, Palestinian camps and the northern Beka'a valley should be avoided. Permission from the army is required to visit areas such as Beaufort Castle and Al-Khiam Museum. The rule of thumb is to research before you venture off.

Land mines placed at the occupied zone during the 20-year-plus Israeli occupation still litter the area. The landmark warning sign is a rusty-red upside-down triangle with 'Al-Ghram' written in Arabic script. Do not assume all landmines have been marked, let alone found. Hikers should consult locals on the safety of off-road areas and avoid straying from well-used roads.

U.S. citizens who travel to Lebanon should exercise heightened caution when traveling in parts of the southern suburbs of Beirut, portions of the Bekaa Valley and South Lebanon, and the cities of Sidon and Tripoli.



A passport and a visa are required. Americans may enter Syria for up to 15 days without a visa if they have a pre-arranged program with a Syrian travel agent and a representative of the agent meets the traveler at the port of entry. Otherwise, visas must be obtained prior to arrival in Syria. The Syrian government rigidly enforces restrictions on prior travel to Israel, and does not allow persons with passports bearing an Israeli visa or entry/exit stamps to enter the country. Syrian immigration authorities will not admit travelers with Israeli stamps in their passports, Jordanian entry cachets or cachets from other countries that suggest prior travel to Israel.

Obtain visa in advance. Singe or double-entry visa, valid for 3 months, requires 2 application forms, 2 photos, and $100 fee (money order only). Enclose SASE with $6 postage (not metered stamps for certified mail) for return of passport by mail, $14 for express mail. For additional information, contact the Embassy of the Syrian Arab Republic, 2215 Wyoming Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20008 (202/232-6313). Internet:



A passport is required for travel to Cyprus. A tourist and business entry stamp is issued at the port of entry for a stay of up to three months.


Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to enter the U.N. buffer zone at any place other than a designated crossing point. This area is heavily mined and militarized.

Never photograph military installations or anything that could be perceived as being of security interest (especially in the north). Pay particular attention to areas marked with “no photography” signs. Police on both sides strictly enforce these restrictions.


OFFICIAL NAME: Hellenic Republic

Geography : Area: 131,957 sq. km. (51,146 sq. mi.; roughly the size of Alabama).

Major cities : Capital--Athens. Greater Athens (pop. 3,566,060), municipality of Athens (772,072), Greater Thessaloniki (pop. 1,057,825), Thessaloniki (824,633), Piraeus (182,671), Greater Piraeus (880,529), Patras (170,452), Larissa (113,090), Iraklion (132,117).


A passport is required, but no visa is needed for tourist or business stays of up to three months.


Greek customs authorities have strict regulations concerning the export from Greece of antiquities, including rocks from archaeological sites. Penalties range from large fines to prison terms.



Passport required. Visa not required for tourist or business stays up to 90 days. (**90-day period begins when entering Schengen countries.) Within eight days upon arrival, visitors are required to register with local police and obtain a permit to stay, regardless of length of visit. Proof of sufficient financial support may be required.


Turkish customs authorities enforce strict regulations concerning temporary importation into or export from Turkey of items such as antiquities (very broadly defined) or other important artwork and cultural artifacts. At the time of departure, travelers who purchase such items may be asked to present a receipt from the seller, as well as the official museum export certificate required by law. It is illegal to show disrespect to the name or image of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the modern Turkish Republic, or to insult the Turkish government, flag, or security forces.


A passport and visa are required. Currently, holders of all types of passports can purchase a 90-day sticker visa at the port of entry for $20 cash if they are traveling to Turkey as tourists. All travelers are advised to obtain entry stamps on the passport page containing their visa at the first port of entry.


Chloroquine is the recommended antimalarial drug for Iraq, Syria, and Turkey. Cutaneous Leishmaniasis is reported the southeast Anatolia region: sand flies are primarily nighttime biters


  • There are 15 times more deaths from road accidents in Turkey than in Great Britain, and twice as many as Spain, which has twice the amount of traffic.
  • stay away from the east, esp the southeast


Islam is the state religion of Morocco.


Travelers to Morocco must have a valid passport. Visas are not required for American tourists traveling to Morocco for fewer than 90 days.


There are thousands of unexploded mines in the Western Sahara and in areas of Mauritania adjacent to the Western Sahara border. Exploding mines are occasionally reported. Travel to the Western Sahara remains restricted.

Spain and Andorra[edit]


A passport is required for both countries. U.S. citizens can stay without a visa for a tourist/business stay of up to 90 days. That period begins when you enter any of the Schengen countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden.

When To Go

Spain can be enjoyable any time of year. The ideal months to visit are May, June and September (plus April and October in the south). At these times you can rely on good-to-excellent weather, yet avoid the extreme heat – and the main crush of Spanish and foreign tourists – of July and August. But there's decent weather in some parts of Spain virtually year round. The best festivals are mostly concentrated between Semana Santa (the week leading up to Easter Sunday) and September to October.

Weather Throughout the Year

Against Depopulation and for Sustainable Development, Soria (Spain)

Non-governmental organization (NGO). Local authority. Academic/research. Public, private and civil association.

Themes = Architecture and Urban Design: affordable/ecological design; historic preservation; landscape design; sustainable community design. Environmental Management: ecological sustainability; environmental remediation. Technology, Tools and Methods: appropriate technologies; networking; research and development; training and capacity building. Main contact: Centro Investigación Navapalos (Non-governmental organization), Navapalos, Soria 42300, Spain Erhard Rohmer, Architec - Town Planner, Presidente de INTER-ACCIÓN, C/ Infantas, 23 1. Ext. Dcha. 28004 Madrid,Spain, Tel: +34-91 531 21 55, Fax: +34-91 531 63 80, E-mail: from:

The Navapalos Foundation Center of Research

Develops working programs in the area of Architecture of Low Cost, Bioclimatics and Renewable Energy , located in the region where building with raw soil is traditional. There are fifteen years that every summer training programs are promoted in this region. The emphasis are, among others, the utilization of soil techniques for young professionals and engineering and architecture students coming from different countries. In such contest we have taught within the perspective of informing the participants how and why rescue traditional techniques stimulating their interest on same. This foundation is situated among small villages counting more than two-hundred, most of them built with raw soil.

Navapalos, Soria, Castilla y León. Village abandoned by its inhabitants 38 years ago. Buildings made of adobe and brick. It was converted into the Centre for Research into Autochthonous Techniques and Materials, Renewable Energies, Sustainable Development appropriate technologies and Technological transfer to Latin America. Since 1985, it has been refurbished using autochthonous techniques applying renewable energies. Courses, training camps, seminars and international meetings are held with representatives from up to 30 countries. The experience obtained in this village has been reflected on the other side of the Atlantic in projects for co-operation within the scope of people building their own low-cost dwellings with innovative technologies, power efficiency in buildings and alternative energies. In parallel to the latter, it provides training for technicians and beneficiaries, research and prevention in building against possible catastrophes (resistance to earthquakes).

[2000: Against Depopulation and for Sustainable Development]



A passport is required for entry into Portugal. There are no immunization requirements. A visa is not required for tourist stays of up to 90 days. Portuguese law requires some non-European Union foreign nationals to register with immigration officials within three days of entering Portugal. The law affects those who transit a Schengen country (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, Sweden and The Netherlands) by air en route to Portugal and stay at noncommercial accommodations.


Lisbon Area: Pick-pocketing and purse snatching in the Lisbon area sometimes occur in buses, restaurants, the airport, trains, train stations, and trams, especially tram number 28 to the Castle of Sao Jorge.

France and Monaco[edit]


A passport is required for entry to France and Monaco. A visa is not required for tourist stays up to 90 days. That period begins when you enter any of the Schengen group of countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden.

Russian Federation[edit]


The Russian government maintains a restrictive and complicated visa regime for foreign travelers who visit, transit, or reside in the Russian Federation. The Russian system includes requirements of sponsorship, visas for entry and exit, migration cards, and registration.

Entry Visas:

It is impossible to obtain a Russian entry visa upon arrival. Travelers must obtain visas in advance of travel from a Russian Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. or in a third country. Travelers who arrive without an entry visa are not permitted to enter Russia and face immediate expulsion by route of entry, at the traveler’s expense.

All travelers must continue to list on the visa application all areas to be visited and subsequently register with authorities at each destination.


Under Russian law, every foreign traveler must have a Russian-based sponsor (a hotel, tour company, relative, employer, etc). The official sponsor is listed on the visa. Generally speaking, visas sponsored by Russian individuals are “guest” visas, and visas sponsored by tour agencies or hotels are “tourist” visas.

Exit Visas:

A valid visa is necessary to depart Russia. Generally, the visa issued by a Russian Embassy or Consulate is valid for entry and exit.

Migration Card:

All foreigners entering Russia must fill out a migration card, depositing one part with immigration authorities at the port of entry and holding on to the other part for the duration of their stay. Upon exit, the migration card, which serves as a statistical tool and a record of entry, exit, and registration, must be submitted to immigration authorities. The card is also necessary to register at hotels.


Travelers who spend more than three days in the country must register their visa and migration card through their sponsor.


June 07, 2005 : Due to continued civil and political unrest throughout much of the Caucasus region, the Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens against travel to Chechnya and all areas that border it: North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Stavropol, Karachayevo-Cherkessiya and Kabardino-Balkariya.

Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll-line at 1-202-501-4444.

Trans-siberian railway more


Serious flooding occurs both in Phnom Penh and the rest of Cambodia starting at the end of July, early August. Heavy flooding continues into November. The unimproved highways to Prey Veng, Battambang, Pailin, Stung Treng and Poipet become more difficult and dangerous during this time of the year, and travel to the provinces is virtually impossible. The highway to Sihanoukville is the only road that can be traveled, with caution, during this time of the year. The town of Siem Reap and the vicinity of the Angkor Wat temple complex remain officially open to tourists.

Intercity buses are officially off limits to foreigners and trains are often restricted to Cambodian citizens (though it is now possible to take the train to Kompot from Phnom Penh-just be persistent!). By road, Siem Reap can be reached from Phnom Penh via share taxis (or rented motorcycle), which take National Route 5 to Battambang and then swing east around the Tonle Sap Lake. The trip is long and arduous, however, and security on the Sisaphon-Siem Reap leg is chancy, especially after dark. National Route 6, the most direct road from Phnom Penh, is still highly insecure between Kompong Thom and Siem Reap.


A passport and visa are required. Tourists may purchase a Cambodian visa valid for one month at the airports in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap from the Ministry of National Security for US$20. You can also apply to: http:// General Direction of Tourism Chief of Tour Service Office 3 Monivong Street Phnom Penh Tel: 855-23-24607 or 23607 Fax: 855-23-26164 or 23-26140.


There is no truly modern hospital facility in the country. You will need to buy your own drugs (usually expired). It's best to stock up in Bangkok, where many useful preparations can be had over the counter.

Hospitals in Phnom Penh:

  • SOS International Medical Center 83 Issarak Boulevard tel., 015-912-765, 364127. Emergency medical care, up to limited Western standards.
  • Calmette Hospital Monivong Boulevard tel., 723173. This is the best facility in the country, although it's hardly up to Western standards.
  • Access Medical Services 203 63rd Street tel., 015-913-358.

Dangerous Places

  • Pailin - only 20 kilometers from the Thai border in western Cambodia, is the former Khmer Rouge headquarters
  • Phnom Penh - Stay off the streets after 10 p.m.
  • Rattanakiri - Due to its sheer remoteness in the northeast
  • Siem Reap - Travel in areas of Siem Reap province outside the Angkor complex can be highly dangerous

Dangerous Things

  • Land Mines - The most heavily mined areas are Kampong Thom, Siem Reap, Kampong Chang, Kampong Speu, Koh Kong, Oddar Meanchey, Batneay Meanchey, Battambang and Pursat.
  • Buses - Due to the high incidence of banditry, Western tourists are prohibited from traveling aboard local buses. Only the bus to Saigon is open to foreigners.
  • Trains - low safety standards and the high risk of banditry.
  • Boats - often overcrowded and lack adequate safety equipment.

Personal Health & Safety[edit]

Cautions (East)[edit]

  1. Do not eat food purchased from street vendors or food that is not well cooked to reduce risk of infection (i.e., hepatitis A and typhoid fever).
  2. Do not drink beverages with ice.
  3. Avoid dairy products, unless you know they have been pasteurized.
  4. Do not swim in fresh water to avoid exposure to certain water-borne diseases such as schistosomiasis. (For more information, please see Swimming and Recreational Water Precautions.)
  5. Do not handle animals, especially monkeys, dogs, and cats, to avoid bites and serious diseases (including rabies and plague). Consider pre-exposure rabies vaccination if you might have extensive unprotected outdoor exposure in rural areas. For more information, please see Animal-Associated Hazards.
  6. Do not share needles for tattoos, body piercing or injections to prevent infections such as HIV and hepatitis B.

Recommended Vaccinations and Preventive Medications (East)[edit]

  • Tetanus-Diphtheria Vaccine (all adults, every 10 years)
  • Hepatitis B Vaccine (adults at risk)
  • Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) Vaccine (susceptible adults)
  • Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG). Transmission of hepatitis A virus can occur through direct person-to-person contact; through exposure to contaminated water, ice, or shellfish harvested in contaminated water; or from fruits, vegetables, or other foods that are eaten uncooked and that were contaminated during harvesting or subsequent handling.
  • Hepatitis B, especially if you might be exposed to blood or body fluids (for example, health-care workers), have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment.
  • Malaria: Chloroquine is the recommended antimalarial drug for Iraq, Syria, and Turkey.
  • Rabies, pre-exposure vaccination, if you might have extensive unprotected outdoor exposure in rural areas, such as might occur during camping, hiking, or bicycling, or engaging in certain occupational activities.
  • Typhoid vaccine.



Europe on a Shoestring, Lonely Planet Publications

Burning Man[edit]

burning man 2005 black rock city: image gallery