More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator (find an active one) on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Ledaihanh.jpg was uncategorized on 16 August 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:45, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Trison Detsen1.jpg was uncategorized on 16 August 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:45, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
|File:Danjong of Joseon.jpg has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may find Commons:Copyright rules useful. You can ask questions about Commons policies in Commons:Help desk.
Wikimedia Commons takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing.
Mongolian script images
You have recently created a few images of short texts written in traditional Mongolian script. Adding more Mongolian script to wp is per se never wrong. However, there seem to be a few issues with your images, some technical, some probably related to different transcription methods:
- Your first 'u' in 'ulus' is wrong, e.g. in File:Dai Ön Kemekü Yeke Mongghul Ulus.PNG. It should be a back vowel, but you are using a front vowel (what western Mongolists would transcribe with an ü). If you are using Windows and the Mongolian baiti font, you get the correct letter when typing 'v'. You get your letter by typing an 'u'.
- Also in File:Dai Ön Kemekü Yeke Mongghul Ulus.PNG, the 'kemekü' is wrong. Some transcriptions use the 'k' for transcribing the 'h' sound in front-vowel words, which is exactly what happened here. The two 'k' are the same letter as the 'k' in 'yeke mongghol ulus'.
- You use png files, which (unlike svgs) are not arbitrarily scalable. And you use non-transparent backgrounds, which looks a bit strange in some places.
Also there was a move to use unicode characters instead of images on English-language wp a while ago. Although this still leads to display problems on a number of operating systems, it also means that the texts are editable, copyable and searchable. You might want to simply type in the characters (once you are reasonably sure your orthography is right) instead of going through the whole process of generating images.