User talk:Another Believer/Archive 1
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Hello. Thanks for your work! I wanted to give you a short explanation of why I moved images in the category you created "Category:Bishop's Palace" to Category:Bishop's Palace, Galveston. The latter title is more specific, and is how the en:Wikipedia article is titled. There are many Bishop's Palaces. In fact, the category "Bishop's Palace" has been created and deleted before, referring to a different one, with the previous content moved to the more specific Category:Bishop's Palace, Kirkwall. I'm going to redelete the category, since the content (and a few other images) is now at the more specific name. (Though if you wish to research however many notable "Bishop's Palaces" there are around the world and make it into a disambiguation I wouldn't object.) I hope this meets with your approval. Thanks for your attention. Cheers, Infrogmation (talk) 17:01, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Hello, Another Believer!
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Tanner Springs Park sign, Portland, OR.jpg was uncategorized on 27 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:39, 28 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Occupy Portland November 2, post.jpg was uncategorized on 3 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:45, 4 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Occupy Portland November 14, Lownsdale Square lawn.jpg was uncategorized on 14 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:15, 15 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Charles F. Berg Building, Portland.jpg was uncategorized on 26 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:54, 27 January 2012 (UTC)
- Image:Concord Building, Portland, Oregon 2011.JPG was uncategorized on 3 February 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:48, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
- Image:Estelle Court Apartments, entrance, Portland, OR 2012.JPG was uncategorized on 5 February 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:51, 6 February 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for the kind words and help with categories. After the holidays I hope to get back to the requested photographs, and I will do a better job categorizing. Season's best wishes! Visitor7 (talk) 08:27, 19 December 2011 (UTC)