More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
-- 11:42, 18 October 2011 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Statusnet.1.0.1.png was uncategorized on 18 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:15, 19 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Urkieta, Santa Barbara eta Elosta.jpg was uncategorized on 31 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:44, 1 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Balerdi eta Uztegi.jpg was uncategorized on 31 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:44, 1 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Uztegi.jpg was uncategorized on 31 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:44, 1 November 2011 (UTC)
Do you have a better version of File:Lezaeta.jpg?
Thank you for your submission of File:Lezaeta.jpg. While all submissions are useful, do you think you might be able to supply a better quality version of the same, or similar, content? In many cases, the largest and highest resolution possible is the most useful version to have available. (MediaWiki has automatic resizing functionality, so there is no need for multiple versions of the same image at different sizes, users can select any size and the software will generate and cache the needed resolution on the fly.)
If you can supply the same exact image as File:Lezaeta.jpg at a larger resolution (or media at a higher bitrate, etc.), please just upload it over the original, users will get the new higher quality version with no further effort on your part. If on the other hand, the content is only similar, it is best to select a new image name, as there may be uses already where some aspect of the existing media was key to the usage. In the latter case, if you can provide a crosslink reference to the new image in the older one and vice versa, that will be extremely helpful.
Again, thank you very much for your contribution, it is appreciated.