|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
|Image deletion warning||Image:Young_James_chemist.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this image, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
- I've never been clear about Wikipedia's interpretation of "published" for pictures and such. I have a Lonely Planets book that says that it was produced by an Australian organization, printed in China, but it's sold in the US. Where was it "published"? Informed enlightenment will be appreciated. -- When I uploaded the James Young screen capture I assumed that since it was on Google Books then it was fair game (public domain) for US usage because Google Books is a US-based entity as is Wikipedia. Again, enlightenment is welcome. I'm certainly not an expert on international copyright law and transnational public-domain policies. -- Regarding this particular pre-1907 picture of James Young (died 1883), if it is judged not to be public domain, then it can be uploaded to the English Wikipedia with a fair-use rationale. -- Astrochemist (talk) 13:32, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
- I just now left a response on your Wikipedia talk page. - Astrochemist (talk) 13:07, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 05:39, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Simpson James Young signature picture.jpg is uncategorized since 18 March 2009. BotMultichillT 05:39, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
James Young Simpson
Hi nice addition of James Young Simpson. Do try and add more detail. Without source etc the images are likely to get deleted. If you can show where they came from then others can help. Victuallers (talk) 19:32, 18 March 2009 (UTC)
- Done. Thanks for your comment and suggestion. - Astrochemist (talk) 13:02, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
|File:Hudson_Claude_desk.jpg has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may find Commons:Copyright rules useful. You can ask questions about Commons policies in Commons:Help desk.
Wikimedia Commons takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing.