More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 05:43, 17 June 2009 (UTC)
- Image:VeilankanniChurchExtn.jpg is uncategorized since 16 June 2009.
- Image:Morning-Star-Church-Construction-Velankanni.JPG was uncategorized on 6 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:03, 7 January 2012 (UTC)
There seems to be a problem regarding the description and/or licensing of this particular file. It has been found that you've added in the image's description only a Template that's not a license and although it provides useful information about the image, it's not a valid license. Could you please resolve this problem, adding the license in the image linked above? You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file. This page may give you more hints on which license to choose. Thank you.
Your uploads in December 2010 and on January 1, 2011, referring to Category:Vailankanni (Velankanni) : Categorisation
Hi, please use useful categories and don't over-categorize your images, i.e. please do not categorize your uploads (an example of your recent activity):
- Category:Velankanni +
- Category:Tamil Nadu Catholic Church +
- Category:Tamil Nadu +
- Category:Catholic Church +
You'll help to save time and capacity on commons by categorizing:
Please use as far as possible the category of the regarding city/town/village or district (if there's no category) etc., or, a localized better 'fitting' i.e. the 'most fitting"' category(ies). Do not add - in addition - the categories of the "parent category", among them cities, states and countries etc.
For further information on categories please read Commons:Categories referring to an accurate categorisation, simplifying your further uploads and categorisation in general. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them at the commons:help desk.
Thank you for your assistance, Roland 22.214.171.124 19:11, 1 January 2011 (UTC)