Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:St Mary's Episcopal Church Stuart FL 023.JPG was uncategorized on 3 June 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:38, 4 June 2010 (UTC)
- Image:St Mary's Episcopal Church Stuart FL 018.JPG was uncategorized on 3 June 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:38, 4 June 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Martin Memorial Medical Center 007.JPG was uncategorized on 1 December 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:39, 2 December 2010 (UTC)
Hi. Re your newly created category Category:Voting in Palm Beach County, Florida - good work, looks like we have a lot of images! However I note that it's a subcat of the 2000 US election. What would you think of renaming the cat something like "Category:Voting in Palm Beach County, Florida, 2000"? I'm suggesting this since there has been and will be voting in Palm Beach County other times, and we might get media relevant to it from some election other than the 2000 one. Thoughts? Cheers, -- Infrogmation (talk) 20:27, 6 May 2012 (UTC)