More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator (find an active one) on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Gn-panaji-goa.JPG was uncategorized on 11 October 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:40, 12 October 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Arnala-fort-octagonal-reservoir.jpg was uncategorized on 23 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:03, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Arnala-fort-south-watch-tower.jpg was uncategorized on 23 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:03, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Arnala-fort-entrance.jpg was uncategorized on 23 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:03, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Centipede-Scolopendra-morsitans.svg was uncategorized on 15 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:05, 16 October 2011 (UTC)
There seems to be a problem regarding the description and/or licensing of this particular file. It has been found that you've added in the image's description only a Template that's not a license and although it provides useful information about the image, it's not a valid license. Could you please resolve this problem, adding the license in the image linked above? You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file. This page may give you more hints on which license to choose. Thank you.
This message was added automatically by Nikbot, if you need some help about it please read the text above again and follow the links in it, if you still need help ask at the → Commons:Help desk in any language you like to use. --Nikbot 03:55, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
please do not over-categorize
thanks for your images of birds.
Please note that the use of categories in commons is rather specific. It is required that an image does only have the most precise category you can find. In case of a bird, this will mean the category given by the scientific binomial name (such as Turdus merula), and not the category Birds, unless your are unable to find the correct scientific name, in which case you can use the category Unidentified birds. Please have a look at Commons:Categories.
Thank you for participating in Wiki Loves Monuments 2012!
Thanks to the participation of people like you, the contest gathered more than 350,000 pictures of cultural heritage objects from 36 countries around the world, becoming the largest photography competition to have ever taken place.
You can find all your pictures in your upload log, and are of course very welcome to keep uploading images and help develop Wikimedia Commons, even though you will not be able to win more prizes (just yet).
If you'd like to start editing relevant Wikipedia articles and share your knowledge with other people, please go to the Wikipedia Welcome page for more information, guidance, and help.
To make future contests even more successful than this year, we would like to invite you to share your experiences with us in a short survey. Please fill in this short survey in your own language, and help us learn what you liked and didn't like about Wiki Loves Monuments 2012.
- Message delivered by the Wiki Loves Monuments 2012 notification system on 01:05, 27 October 2012 (UTC)
File:A_graphic_view_of_Acid-Base_Indicators.svg is a great chart (and even well-cited!). It looks like there's a bug somewhere in the graphics coding. When rendered at any specific size, for example, , the blue boxed section in the upper-right area is covered with black boxes. When rendered natively as svg by my browser, it looks correct, so maybe it's just using some non-portable feature that the Wikimedia software is mis-handling? DMacks (talk) 20:11, 6 September 2014 (UTC)