More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
-- 16:42, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
Category:Logos of businesses (SVG)
Hallo DustyComputer, please make sure the naming of Category:Logos of businesses (SVG) is consistent with Category:Logos of companies - it seems not to be. And: don't you think your new cat is redundant? Is a SVG cat vor company logos really needed? Cheers --Saibo (Δ) 03:41, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
- I do not think it is useful at all to have subcats of Category:SVG logos. It will lead to a duplication of the whole logo category tree once you have sorted in all logos which are actually svg. By the way: please look at my contributions from 2011-05-12T12:00:38 until 2011-05-12T12:07:51 to see what I have improved at the svg logos companies. Mainly the sort keys were missing and the second category for Category:Logos of companies (SVG).
- As you can see in Category:SVG having the file type in brackets is uncommon. Do you have any not newly created examples for this kind of naming ("(SVG)")? Cheers --Saibo (Δ) 12:13, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
To be honest, I haven't learned sort keys yet; I'm a newbie. I'm taking this one step at a time. As for sort keys, now that I know what they are, I'll definitely use them from now on. You're right about renaming the categories, then applying the sort key: it's a much better process. Addressing your concerns about the subcats of Category:SVG logos, I do think that they are necessary. Otherwise, the parent category of Category:SVG logos will be much too overcrowded. Having sub-categories for SVG logos is necessary for proper categorization, and making those files easier to find on Wikimedia. Otherwise, one would have to go through the entire Category:Logos of companies, etc. to find high-quality files for use, instead of sub-quality JPEGs or PNGs. As a sidenote: now that I look at what you did, I'm still not sure what the sort key did for the Category:Logos of companies. I'm going to need to do more research on this feature to fully understand what I'm sure is a useful function. Regards, --DustyComputer (talk) 20:03, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
- Hi again! Okay, then - welcome at Commons! :-) Please do not take by comments as accusation or similar - just wanted to tell you my thoughts and give hints/help.
- Last first: The sortkey " SVG" for Category:Logos of companies sorts the Category:Logos of companies (SVG) by "SpaceSVG". Therefore it is right at the beginning as it is a major distinction and all the other ABC... subcategories are in fact subcategories "by company type" or so. Without any sortkey it would be sorted in under letter "L".
- Okay, I see - you want to duplicate (I am sure it will be a duplication) to find svg logos. Hmm... if you think - okay. Maybe we should discuss this with more people (there are specific locations for category discussions). And maybe it would be easier to do this by really duplicating the logos of companies tree and get some bot help (bots can really help here).
- Before you start big new category trees it is sometimes a good thing to discuss first before work is put in. As you just saw with the name ("companies" instead of "businesses"). All already catted files had to be touched again.
- Much text, sorry! ;-) Cheers --Saibo (Δ) 22:49, 12 May 2011 (UTC)