More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator (find an active one) on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Picture of the Year 2010
You are not eligible to vote due to the fact that your commons account did you meet the edit threshold. If you have an account that does, either unify your accounts or link to it on your user page AND on the eligible account's userpage. cheers --Guerillero 00:34, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
- If you guys can't tell that I have 5000 edits on en.wiki over the past several years, then there's something wrong with your system. I'm sure there must be plenty of other people that got your erroneous exclusion stamped on them; I hope most of them will do as I do, and tell you to take your vote and shove it. HuskyHuskie (talk) 21:03, 21 August 2011 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:UISDomeLogo.tif was uncategorized on 22 August 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:13, 23 August 2011 (UTC)
|File:UISDomeLogo.tif has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may find Commons:Copyright rules useful. You can ask questions about Commons policies in Commons:Help desk.
Wikimedia Commons takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing.
- Again, the ignorance level is astounding. Are not images created in the US by the federal and state governments automatically in the public domain? HuskyHuskie (talk) 19:32, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
- I appreciate your taking the time to try to help. I did actually think I already had a unified log-in, but perhaps I was mistaken. But even if I don't, the instructions don't indicate--as far as I can tell--that one needs a unified log in. Nothing tonight is even telling me that I can't vote. It asked me to sign in, I signed in, and the vote buttons are greyed out. That's just piss-poor design, period. And last year, someone had the balls to tell me I lacked the requisite edits, and when I pointed out my counts, they had no answer.
- I'm obviously not in a proper emotional state right now to give these artists the time they deserve looking over their pictures. If I have the time (and I may not, this first round), I will look into the link you provided, and see if that can get me on the right path. Regardless of whether I do or not, however, I thank you for your kindness in coming to my aid. HuskyHuskie (talk) 05:53, 6 June 2012 (UTC)