User talk:J. Johnson
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Hello, J. Johnson!
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Straight Creek Fault.gif was uncategorized on 30 January 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:56, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Southern California faults-CFM-SEa.png was uncategorized on 5 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 15:33, 6 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:CRBG distribution RVM-5.jpg was uncategorized on 30 December 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:38, 31 December 2011 (UTC)
- Image:CRBG distribution RVM-2.jpg was uncategorized on 30 December 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:38, 31 December 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Southern Washington Cascades conductor.png was uncategorized on 18 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:11, 19 January 2012 (UTC)
File tagging File:Yakima Fold Belt map.png
|This media was probably deleted.|
|Thanks for uploading File:Yakima Fold Belt map.png. This media is missing permission information. A source is given, but there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license. Please provide a link to an appropriate webpage with license information, or send an email with copy of a written permission to OTRS (firstname.lastname@example.org). This also applies if you are the author yourself.
The file probably has been deleted. If you sent a permission, try to send it again after 14 days. Do not re-upload. When the OTRS-member processes your mail, the file can be undeleted. Additionally you can request undeletion here, providing a link to the File-page on Commons where it was uploaded (
- The issue is where the base map comes from. I assume that it comes from the Washington State Geologic Information Portal, but I can't see any link or information stating that information coming from it has a CC license. Could you explain? Thanks --Discasto talk | contr. | es.wiki analysis 15:24, 9 September 2014 (UTC)
- Discasto: Yes, I can explain why you can't see that information: they haven't posted it anywhere to see! Okay, I will work with them to correct that.
- A more generalized form of the matter: when I use snippets of map images previously prepared and published by others I usually get a permission message. However, is that still required when working from the data to prepare the map image myself? ~ J. Johnson (talk) 20:38, 9 September 2014 (UTC)