More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
See my wikipedia page:
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 05:54, 26 April 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Collinsea verna-jk1.jpg is uncategorized since 25 April 2009.
- Image:Hope furnace.JPG is uncategorized since 9 June 2009.
- Image:Trail sign.jpg is uncategorized since 10 June 2009.
- Image:Poison ivy-roadside.jpg is uncategorized since 10 June 2009.
- Image:Dennstaedtia punctilobula2.jpg was uncategorized on 30 November 2009 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 1 December 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Pteridoid fern clade.tif was uncategorized on 9 December 2009 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:44, 10 December 2009 (UTC)
- Image:The wilds.gif was uncategorized on 4 March 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:53, 5 March 2011 (UTC)
Thank you for providing images to Wikimedia Commons. Please keep in mind that images and other files on Commons must be under a free license and should be useful to the Wikimedia projects. To allow others to use your files, some additional information must be given on the description page. Most importantly:
- Describe what it is about in a short sentence. (What does the image show?)
- State the author and the date of creation. If you made it yourself, say so explicitly. If it is from another Wikimedia user, link to the person's local user page. Best to use CommonsHelper.
- If you did not create the file yourself, state the source you got it from.
- Add a copyright tag - images without an appropriate license tag will be deleted.
- Add the image to one or more gallery pages and/or appropriate categories, so it can be found by others. To find out where an image belongs, you can use CommonsSense.
If you copied the file from another wiki, please copy all information given there and say who uploaded it to that wiki. Use CommonsHelper.
You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file.
Please add as much information as possible. If there is not sufficient information, the file may have to be deleted. For more information, follow the Commons:First steps guide. If you need help or have questions, please ask at the Help desk.
- I accidentally uploaded the image without the info; I IMMEDIATELY reloaded the same image OVER the first image, WITH the info. Sheez. Jaknouse (talk) 15:58, 2 December 2009 (UTC)
- I don't understand why I have to have a separate user account for every wiki project. It drives me nuts. Jaknouse (talk) 15:58, 2 December 2009 (UTC)
|File:Hocking_Valley_Railway-4.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.