More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator (find an active one) on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Staffbackgroundcss.png was uncategorized on 5 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 15:37, 6 June 2011 (UTC)
- Hey MZ, I'm going to poke Jay to verify when he comes back from lunch but this is actually one of the reference files (and the definition of the right colors for this version) for the authorized pms colors so please don't delete it. There are a couple small variations because of the different color schemes but we want options available because different uses require different options (they can't all do CMYK for example). You can see all of them on the Visual Identity page that is being updated and refreshed to the new version that has been written (but only in pdf) for more then a year now. Jalexander (talk) 19:30, 24 April 2013 (UTC)
- I'm not sure what a reference file is. If anything, surely it would be the actual logo, which is here: File:Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg. You can see the correct colors there. They match four or five other project logo colors. Whatever PMS is, if it can't get the logo colors right, it probably should be avoided. The visual identity page is also using the wrong colors. I brought that up separately at wmf:Talk:Visual identity guidelines. --MZMcBride (talk) 01:41, 25 April 2013 (UTC)
Legal team messages
- Multichill, please have a look at Special:Permalink/100902509#Inappropriate_images_of_children and Commons:Administrators'_noticeboard/Archive_43#Inappropriate_images_of_children and please AGF! -- Rillke(q?) 07:10, 14 August 2013 (UTC)
- And of course you should know about all the previous discussions were people voiced their concerns that they a) do not want to deal with that kind of abuse b) it is inappropriate to let untrained community admins deal with this kind of abuse. -- Rillke(q?) 07:13, 14 August 2013 (UTC)
Thanks for the changes at greek wikivoyage logo.
Inquiry of PD
After roughly reviewing WMF's refusal to DMCA's deletion request of certain PD image, I want your opinion on an old RfD case long ago at Commons. Here's the story: A fellow Wikimedian found that a website published reproduced image of national flags. The designs of the flags are technically in the public domain, but the website claimed copyright ownership of his/her reproduction. As that Wikimedian honestly addressed the source website while uploading them to Commons, an admin determined that those uploads are copyvio and deleted all of them. If you were the admin handling this RfD, what would be your decision? Thank you. -- Sameboat - 同舟 (talk) 15:15, 5 December 2013 (UTC)
Portrait of Margrave Johann of Brandenburg-Ansbach 1520 http://www.lucascranach.org/object.php?&obj=DE_WSE_M0013_FR142&uid=743&page=8&fol=01_Overall&img=DE_WSE_M0013_FR142_2013-02_Overall.tif
Portrait of Philipp von Hessen 1534-1539 http://www.lucascranach.org/object.php?&obj=DE_WSE_M0076_FR-none&uid=782&page=31&fol=01_Overall&img=DE_WSE_M0076_FR-none_2013-02_Overall.tif