More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator (find an active one) on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 05:54, 15 August 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Imagejamesofur.png was uncategorized on 14 August 2009.
- Image:Eddie Makabi.jpg was uncategorized on 1 May 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:43, 2 May 2010 (UTC)
TUSC token eda530b0cd888f747ee804c299ba128d
I am now proud owner of a TUSC account!
Jamesofur. Keep my "You are an idiot" talk page how I like it. U R N IDIOT (talk) 05:37, 7 October 2009 (UTC)
I'm sure your intentions were good with reference to warning 184.108.40.206 (talk · contribs) about annotations to my photos of the roller derby benefit party, but as far as I can tell her edits were accurate and I have restored them. I happen to know who she is: she's one of the competitors herself, and wrote me quite indignantly about having been blocked for making accurate additions. Yes, some of the noms de guerre are mildly obscene, but the Commons is not censored in that respect, and what she wrote is accurate. - Jmabel ! talk 07:05, 12 October 2009 (UTC)
- thank you for your note, that's perfectly fine I saw what looked like someone vandalizing pictures and making fun of the people in them after I warned them but if that's not the case then I definitely don't want that to punish them. I see they are still blocked, I'll ping an admin to unblock them.Jamesofur (talk) 07:14, 12 October 2009 (UTC)
Thanks. Yes, I can see why this sort of thing being added anonymously looked like vandalism. But this milieu is precisely the sort of thing that rarely gets adequately documented: we (Commons) get the mainstream and we get porn images, but usually little in between. - Jmabel ! talk 07:46, 12 October 2009 (UTC)
Hi. You have participated in the long debate about Ottava Rima. You may want to vote in the final poll about his block. I might have summarized your expressed opinion already, if so please check that it is correct! Only one vote ( Support, Oppose or Neutral), with a block length in case of support. Nothing more in this subsection! Thanks. --Eusebius (talk) 11:57, 15 May 2010 (UTC)
Picture of the Year voting round 1 open
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2012 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2012. Voting is open to established Wikimedia users who meet the following criteria:
- Users must have an account, at any Wikimedia project, which was registered before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC].
- This user account must have more than 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC]. Please check your account eligibility at the POTY 2012 Contest Eligibility tool.
- Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another SUL-related Wikimedia project (for other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL).
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.
To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2012 page on Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons celebrates our featured images of 2012 with this contest. Your votes decide the Picture of the Year, so remember to vote in the first round by January 30, 2013.
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee