More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
-- 19:05, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
|File:Outback Zack.jpg has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may find Commons:Copyright rules useful. You can ask questions about Commons policies in Commons:Help desk.
The file you added may soon be deleted. If you believe this file is not a copyright violation, please explain why on the file's talk page.
I had to delete the file since a TV screenshot is not in the public domain.
This screen shot is available for public use. The image was captured by Outback Zack Productions which is us. Can this be uploaded to wikimedia to attach to multi national celebrity Zack Heart and the Outback Zack wiki page?
Can you please send an email from your business address with the above statement to email@example.com and and put a short message after you did so? Please mention the license under which that the image is provided. I will take care of that ticket.
- I note that File:Outback Zack.jpg is an image from KUSI-TV in San Diego, California. Permission will have to come from KUSI, not from the subject. Also, the source of the image is the Internet Movie Database, which is copyrighted, so we will also need permission from IMDB. It might be easier to get a copy from KUSI -- then only one permission would be required. Jim . . . . Jameslwoodward (talk to me) 17:29, 5 May 2011 (UTC)
Hello, are you uploading this file for the Outback Zack Productions? Can you please send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with a statement that you own and rights to this picture? Otherwise we would have to delete the picture as the screenshot from TV. Best regards --Neozoon (talk) 21:09, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
Dear Neozoon, Our email to email@example.com have been returned advising their is no address under this name. Pleas advise? This is image is copyrighted by Outback Zack Productions which is us. Do we need to send a confirmation email each time we upload an image? Regards, Outback Zack Productions — Preceding unsigned comment added by Krystic1 (talk • contribs) 19:43, 2 May 2011 (UTC)
- The address is actually "firstname.lastname@example.org" (with an ess). The procedure is outline in detail at Commons:OTRS. Jim . . . . Jameslwoodward (talk to me) 17:17, 5 May 2011 (UTC)
|File:Yvette Rachelle.jpg has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may find Commons:Copyright rules useful. You can ask questions about Commons policies in Commons:Help desk.
Wikimedia Commons takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing.
Please do not recreate deleted content
Your image or other content, Zack Heart, was recently deleted in accordance with our process and policies. You have recreated this content after it was deleted; please do not do this. If you would like to contest the deletion, please visit Commons:Undeletion requests and follow the instructions there to have the deletion reviewed. Recreating deleted content outside of process is not allowed, and doing so repeatedly may cause you to lose your editing privileges. Thank you for understanding.
Please sign your posts on talk pages, user talk pages, Deletion Requests, and noticeboards. Just add four tildes (~~~~) at the end of your comments. Your user name or, if you are not logged in, your IP address, and the date and time will be added to the end of your comment when you save it. For further information, read Commons:Talk page guidelines. Thank you. Jim . . . . Jameslwoodward (talk to me) 17:17, 5 May 2011 (UTC)
If you have questions, you may leave them here, which I will be watching for the next week or so, or on the talk pages of any of the people above. We all were beginners once and know that Commons can be difficult at times, so we all try to help. We do, however, require everyone, even beginners, to follow our rules. Jim . . . . Jameslwoodward (talk to me) 17:23, 5 May 2011 (UTC)
|File:Yvette_Rachelle_.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
Zack Heart / Outback Zack Gallery Page
[moved from my talk page]
Apologies, we are just learning how to use the Wikimedia Commons. We are trying to create a gallery for multi national celebrity Outback Zack/Zack Heart. Their is a lot to read as far as guidelines etc. We are going by other celebrities pages eg Kevin Costner. We have placed a short paragraph as opposed to an article. We weren't sure what could be placed here so thank you for the advice. We have uploaded a number of images however we have been unsuccessful in placing those on a page or seeing them appear on a page together. Any advice on doing this would be much appreciated. Thank you
- First, it's easier to communicate in one place, and since this is active here, on your talk page, it's the best place for it.
- I suggest that the first thing to do is get the permission for the various images in place. We take copyright fairly seriously and it may be that you need to think harder about who owns the images you have uploaded -- I haven't looked at all of them, but the KUSI image is certainly not yours or free, as you claim above.
- Next, Kevin Costner does not have a gallery page, he has only Category:Kevin Costner. You may certainly create the page named Category:Zack Heart once you straighten out the status of the various images. Just go to "Category:Zack Heart" and create the page, with a sentence about him at the top. Then add [[Category:Zack Heart]] to each image that belongs in the category. See File:Kevin Costner DF-SD-05-08959 crop.jpg for an example of this.
- See Commons:Galleries for a more detailed explanation of the difference, but basically, a gallery is an organized collection of specific images on a subject, with captions. A category contains all the images of the subject, good, bad, and indifferent, and they are organized in alpha order by file name, with no captions.
- And please note that Kevin Costner gets only one sentence of description on the Category page -- Commons is not a place for articles, or even paragraphs. Jim . . . . Jameslwoodward (talk to me) 17:50, 5 May 2011 (UTC)
Okay that's great Jim, appreciate the advice. KUSI is emailing an approval for the use of the image captured by our cameraman who filmed Mr Heart in the studio on their screens etc. All the other images we have uploaded are ours we just need to work out how to make that clear. Thank you (Krystic1 (talk) 18:16, 5 May 2011 (UTC))
Jim, we have just received an email from KUSI granting permission to use the images of Mr Heart on KUSI, do we email that to "email@example.com"? Regards, Outback Zack Productions (Krystic1 (talk) 18:29, 5 May 2011 (UTC))
Dear Jim, the Zack Heart page has now been put on the orphan list and we can't understand why. We've just applied Mr Heart's Filmography but aren't sure what it means by linking to other articles. Can you instruct us how we fix this? Thank you regards, outback Zack Productions (Krystic1 (talk) 02:18, 6 May 2011 (UTC))
- As a general rule, permissions for images where the uploader is not the photographer need to go to "firstname.lastname@example.org". In your case, that shouldn't be hard -- just follow the instructions at Commons:OTRS and make sure that they come from Heart's official domain -- which I haven't been able to find. The point is, that we have no way of determining that Krystic1 is actually associated with Zack Heart and is authorized to upload photos -- you could be a fan or someone else. When OTRS receives an e-mail from Heart's address, the OTRS volunteer will read it and tag the related images. OTRS volunteers must be specially appointed, by the way, and the information in the e-mail -- including the address -- is available only to OTRS volunteers.
- It's best if permission e-mails go directly from the source to "email@example.com". You can try forwarding the KUSI e-mail you have, with its header to permissions. That may work.
- Don't worry about the orphan tag on WP:EN. All it means is that there are few links coming in to Zack Heart. The solution to that is in the filmography section of the article -- there are eleven different blue-links in it. Assuming they are all legitimate, you could go to each of them and make sure that Heart is mentioned -- and linked -- from as many as is reasonable. Then remove the orphan tag.
- In all of this you must at least pay attention to the fact that WP:EN and Commons frown on self-promotion. Given the filmography and the IMDB listing, I don't think there's any doubt that Zack Heart deserves a page in WP:EN. The article, however, needs some work. Among other things, there is a copyright notice just above the Filmography. That is, of course, a no-no -- all material on WMF is freely licensed. You need to remove the notice and rewrite the material so that it no longer infringes.
- I note that you created both Category:Zack Heart and Category:Outback Zack. Since categories with 100% or nearly 100% overlap are not useful, I've eliminated the latter in favor of a category redirect. Jim . . . . Jameslwoodward (talk to me) 11:16, 6 May 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks James appreciate the advice re orphan etc. We have also removed the copyright. We're pretty annoyed though after all the entries put in to wiki commons, someone deleted everything... Zack Heart no longer has a category and all the images were deleted even the image that received approval by permission. Why did they delete it all?
- Outback Zack Productions (Krystic1 (talk) 16:48, 6 May 2011 (UTC))
- I'm afraid I don't understand -- Category:Zack Heart is still here, with seven images in the category. Is it possible you are looking at the WP:EN Category:Zack Heart which does not have any images because they are hosted on Commons, not WP:EN?
- I note that the KUSI image permission has gone through OTRS and has been posted to the image, see File:Outback Zack.jpg. Please follow up with similar permissions from Outback for the others or they will be deleted.
- I'm leaving my desk now for the rest of the day, but don't worry, it will all get straightened out, here on Commons at least. One of the things about Commons is that anything can be undone, so even if something is deleted, we can just undeleted it when the permissions come through.
- By the way -- custom is to add an additional colon at the beginning of the first line of each talk page comment so that we can all easily see the breaks between writers. I've done that with yours just above this.
- Jim . . . . Jameslwoodward (talk to me) 17:19, 6 May 2011 (UTC)
- -- Thanks Jim. We have sent another email with permission to use all images submitted & we are linking further information about Zack Heart and Outback Zack.
- We entered Zack Heart and Outback Zack in the search bar and nothing came up. It says the page on wiki commons now doesn't exist and needs to be created; which is what we already did. This message was posted below by Motopark which we dont understand: "Thank you for your contributions. Your image or other content, Zack heart, was recently deleted, or will soon be deleted, in accordance with our process and policies, because it was not, or is not, within our scope. Please review our project scope, but in short, Commons is targeted at educational media files including photographs, diagrams, animations, music, spoken text and video clips. The expression “educational” is to be understood according to its broad meaning of “providing knowledge; instructional or informative”. Wikimedia Commons does not contain text articles like encyclopedia articles, textbooks, news, word definitions and such. Each of these other kinds of content have their own projects: Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikinews, Wiktionary and Wikiquote.
- "If the content seems to fit the scope of one of those other projects, please consider contributing it there. If you think that the deletion was in error because the contribution really was in scope, you can appeal it at Commons:Undeletion requests, giving a reason why it fits our scope to help others evaluate the matter. Thank you for your understanding."
- Thanks Jim. Regards, Outback Zack Productions Krystic1 (talk) 20:34, 6 May 2011 (UTC)
- The Commons search engine is not very smart. If you type in "Zack Heart", it will not find Category:Zack Heart, but the category is still there. As I said above, with only seven images on Commons, you probably don't need a gallery here. That's why my colleague, Motopark, tagged the gallery for deletion. Just concentrate on the article on WP:EN. Commons is, after all, just a repository for images and either media files -- most readers of Wikipedia don't even know that it exists. Jim . . . . Jameslwoodward (talk to me) 22:49, 6 May 2011 (UTC)
Wikimedia Commons has a specific scope
Thank you for your contributions. Your image or other content, Zack heart, was recently deleted, or will soon be deleted, in accordance with our process and policies, because it was not, or is not, within our scope. Please review our project scope, but in short, Commons is targeted at educational media files including photographs, diagrams, animations, music, spoken text and video clips. The expression “educational” is to be understood according to its broad meaning of “providing knowledge; instructional or informative”. Wikimedia Commons does not contain text articles like encyclopedia articles, textbooks, news, word definitions and such. Each of these other kinds of content have their own projects: Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikinews, Wiktionary and Wikiquote.
If the content seems to fit the scope of one of those other projects, please consider contributing it there. Otherwise, consider an alternative outlet. If you think that the deletion was in error because the contribution really was in scope, you can appeal it at Commons:Undeletion requests, giving a reason why it fits our scope to help others evaluate the matter. Thank you for your understanding.