More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Michaelfassbenderbyemma.jpg was uncategorized on 15 March 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:59, 16 March 2010 (UTC)
It has come to my/someone else's attention that you have uploaded several files that are copyright violations. You have done so despite requests from editors not to do so, and despite their instructions. See Commons:Licensing for the copyright policy on Wikimedia Commons. You may also find Commons:Copyright rules by subject matter useful.
This is your last warning. Continuing to upload copyright violations will result in your account being blocked. Please leave me a message if you have further questions.
Hi Lyonandpan (or is it Olga and Elena),
photographies are works of art and as such copyrighted until 70 years after the death of the photographer. Except in cases where the photographer has released an image under a free license (as many of the original contributors to Commons do), you need a written legal permission to upload it under a free license to Commons. Scanning an existing copyrighted image by another photographer does not give you any own copyright. See COM:CB for more. --Túrelio (talk) 08:31, 30 March 2010 (UTC)
Hi, thank you very much Túrelio. We're very sorry that we have make you so much trouble with our incompetence. Unfortunately, we can't delete this files by ourselves and we hope for your assistance. Best wishes, Elena and Olga
- You are welcome. Was File:Michaelfassbenderbyemma.jpg also scanned from a magazine? --Túrelio (talk) 08:43, 30 March 2010 (UTC)
Yes, we bought it on ebay... And we thought, that if the picture was in a mag which was on sale everywhere, it wouldn't a crime to upload it here, because it "common", sorry...
- May be you can find some really free photos of your star on Flickr (flickr.com); but check for the licenses, as there are also a lot of images with "All rights reserved". --Túrelio (talk) 08:54, 30 March 2010 (UTC)
Thank you very much for an advice, we'll try and will be careful! All the best, Elena and Olga