User talk:Michael Barera
This page is automatically archived by MiszaBot, which moves old threads to my talk archives after one week of inactivity.
The batch upload is set to begin early next week. Not too many questions/comments on the bot request. The counter will be activated. Let the fun begin! Excited beyond words, and sad - no one I know "gets" how utterly cool this is. Have a nice day! Bdcousineau (talk) 23:38, 11 May 2013 (UTC)
- Wait, I thought I "got" how utterly cool this was, haha! I'm super excited to see what the categories look like when the images are uploaded (as well as how and when that approach can be applied to the backloged NARA images from 2011). Thanks again for everything and Happy Mother's Day! 12:32, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
- I'm so glad we can think this is cool together! Bought a laptop with Ubuntu loaded already... may need advice/technical assistance soon. Sent in DPLA case study proposal to Museum Computer Network conference today, fingers crossed. Have a wonderful Monday. Bdcousineau (talk) 16:27, 13 May 2013 (UTC)
- ASUS X201E-DH01 11.6-Inch Laptop from Amazon, (so not cool, right? but I figured they had a good customer service policy). I went to the Ubuntu site and they list all the laptops pre-loaded/approved with Ubuntu and then I seached for one under $500 and came up with this. I don't need one as big as yours (I'va smaller brain, ya know, eh?), and this one seemed to fit the bill - I need to sneak it into my office and work off the wifi while also doing my regular job. Fingers crossed. It has wifi connectivity issues out of the box, but it's also an easy fix...so hopefully so! Have a fun day digitizing. Bdcousineau (talk) 00:56, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
AACCKKK! Smallman AWOL. Questions about the upload are building on the bot request page. Laptop a failure- will not pick up wifi at my house - need to test at a Starbucks -already had a linux tech look at it. Spirits droopy, except I applied for a research/dev project at the British Library ... see how brave you and Small have made me?! have a nice weekend. Bdcousineau (talk) 02:36, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
- Well, the bot upload comments look good, but I understand your worries about not having Smallman12q around beyond his retirement. Regarding your laptop, you may need a proprietary driver for your wi-fi to work. I had to do that once on my older laptop, which I had to tether to the Internet through Ethernet to find and download the right driver. To get to the proper settings on Ubuntu 13.04 (the current release), click on the "power/tools" symbol in the extreme top right of your screen, select the first option "About This Computer", click on the "All Settings" button in the top left-ish of the window, click on "Software & Updates" under the "System" header, and then (in the new window that pops up) click on the "Additional Drivers" tab on the far right to see what drivers may be available for your computer and might be able to fix the problem. On my computer, I have the option of selecting a "BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller" from Broadcom Corporation, but I don't have to because there is an open-source alternative that works for my laptop (an HP Pavilion dv6 from Q4 2011). Just remember that you'll need to go old school with an Ethernet cable in order to allow you to download the proper driver from the Internet while your wi-fi isn't working. I hope this helps. Take care! Michael Barera (talk) 22:12, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
- PS: Good luck with your application at the British Library! Michael Barera (talk) 22:12, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
|File:Boomerang logo UK.svg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
- I've added to the discussion at the deletion page. Take care! Michael Barera (talk) 22:18, 13 May 2013 (UTC)
Please check your edit http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Disc-comparison-desaturation.png&diff=70467721&oldid=54758288 . If it is not a mistake, I suggest improving the description or giving a short explanation in its talk page.--Pere prlpz (talk) 18:20, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
- Yes, I think it was a mistake: its usage here confused me, I believe, when I made the edit last year (I can't remember what exactly I was thinking at the time). I think I have given it better categories now (see here). I hope this helps. Sorry for the hassle. Michael Barera (talk) 20:15, 14 May 2013 (UTC)