More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
-- 17:01, 27 March 2011 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Us flag eagle.jpg was uncategorized on 30 December 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:28, 31 December 2011 (UTC)
Hi Mightmights. You commented on a deletion debate here, asking for an image to be reprieved because you found it "useful". The reason people want to delete it is not because they don't find it useful, but because it cannot be used on Commons because it is not licensed in a way that would allow that. Please make yourself familiar with Commons copyright policy before getting involved in any more deletion debates. Credulity (talk) 20:48, 14 September 2012 (UTC)