Thanks... and categories?
Hi Mz, Thanks for contributing pictures to Commons!! It'd be great if you could categorize your pictures in the future only in the most specific category/categories. For example, if you categorize a picture of a specific ship, please don't "double categorize" it in the ship category and in the Category:Sailing - this helps to keep the super-ordinate categories (e.g., "Sailing") free and easy to use. (Just like in a book, where you want to have the text in chapters, not in the "Contents" section.) If someone looks for pictures of the ship, he can simply click on "Sailing ships" and find it. Thank you, and I'm looking forward to further pictures from you, Ibn Battuta 16:38, 25 September 2007 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 21:10, 7 September 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Oosterschenge.JPG was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.