|In order to make it easy to follow conversations please keep them together on the same talk page. I will look for your reply on your talk page if I start a message there, and vice versa. Thanks.|
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
|Pay attention to copyright||Image:Palais Royal Balls.jpg has been marked as a copyright violation. The Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content, that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You can ask questions about Commons policies in Commons:Help desk.
The file you added will soon be deleted. If you believe this image is not a copyright violation, please explain why on the image description page.
- This image was taken and uploaded by me and so is not a copyright violation. If I failed to put the correct copyright tag on then I apologise. However, now that it has been deleted I cannot see or correct the tag. Please could it be un-deleted? Oosoom Talk to me 13:45, 1 March 2007 (UTC)
- Fascinating. Thank you. Does that also apply to buildings in France? Oosoom Talk to me 16:04, 1 March 2007 (UTC)
- Unfortunately, yes. There is a small exception for works of art whose representation is only incidental. For instance, there is no copyright problem with a picture whose subject is the main court of the Palais-Royal (which is obviously in the public domain), even if it shows the Spheres on a small scale, because it's impossible to shoot the whole court without showing Pol Bury's work. Jastrow (Λέγετε) 10:37, 2 March 2007 (UTC)
- Thank you for including references to COM:DW and COM:FOP, which I should have read before troubling you again. The situation on sculptures is different in the UK. Oosoom Talk to me 12:01, 2 March 2007 (UTC)
- My mistake, I should have been more explicit instead of pasting here the generic copyvio notice. The concept of COM:FOP seems indeed very natural and I myself was quite surprised to hear this line of thought did not apply in countries such as France or Italy. I do hope the European legislation will align itself on the more liberal countries such as the UK. Jastrow (Λέγετε) 12:44, 2 March 2007 (UTC)
- Hallo, you 've upload several images called Image:BSicon.... . The problem is, that the prefix "BSIcon" is commonly used for Rrailway-icons. Only icons with railway and water shoudt appear in the category for canal. Therefore I want to ask you for uploading the images using annother prefix, please. For example, you can use CanalIcon..., this prefix isn't used. It wouldt be nice, to do so for keeping a well system of icons.
- Something else is important: Please, don't upload SVG-images with a size of more than 32767 Pixels. That crashes browsers. The problem appears usually by using CorelDraw. Do you know, how to adjust the SVGs with a plain-text-editor ? Augiasstallputzer 09:12, 14 October 2007 (UTC)
- Hello Augiasstallputzer. The de. railway icon mapping templates have become popular on English Wikipedia and the guys there started using some of the existing blue railway icons. Things have progressed from there and many more icons have been created which are specific to canals. Since the German railway templates are used it was necessary and natural for further icons to have the BSicon prefix. If this is going to be a problem then perhaps it should be raised as soon as possible.
- I intended the icons to be 500x500. Have I let some through with the wrong size? Which? I can edit the SVG as text, but only for extremely simple icons as I can only guess the language. Best wishes, Oosoom Talk to me 20:21, 14 October 2007 (UTC)
No, its not a big problem let them named as they are, but it is very important, that the icons are sorted into the correct categories. For example, an icon with only a house on it shoudt be in another category than a icon for canal. To adjust the size of a CorelDraw-generated SVG:
- Open the SVG with a plain text editor
- At the top of the file, you can see a tag starting with "<svg". This line contains parts with width="BigXpx" height="BigYpx" and viewBox="0 0 BigX BigY", where BigX and BigY are two very large numbers.
- In case, the image has square form (BigX = BigY) you simply can change the values behind width and height to width="500px" height="500px"
- In case of a rectangle you can calculate the size. Set width to 500 and set height to 500 * BigY / BigX . That creates an image with a width of 500 and a height which keeps the original form of the image (no "stretching").
To test SVG: The best Browser for SVG-files I tested is Firefox, version 2.0 or later. Augiasstallputzer 23:03, 14 October 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks. I know how to change pixel size. Which icons have the wrong size? And which icons are in the wrong category? Oosoom Talk to me 09:46, 15 October 2007 (UTC)
There is still only one large oldversion left. I 've asked a Sysop for deleting the old version and I 've changed several categories. Augiasstallputzer 14:11, 18 October 2007 (UTC)
- Very sorry. I've put it back. Another lesson learned :) Oosoom Talk 16:34, 19 February 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, it is good --Hedwig Storch 14:50, 20 February 2008 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:George Dawson cropped.jpg was uncategorized on 6 February 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:29, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
- Image:Queen's College, Paradise Street, Birmingham.jpg was uncategorized on 6 February 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:29, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
- Image:George Dixon MP.jpg was uncategorized on 6 February 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:29, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
- Image:Bingley House 1830, Birmingham.jpg was uncategorized on 6 February 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:29, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
- Image:High School for Girls (KEHS), (The old Liberal Club), Congreve Street, Birmingham.jpg was uncategorized on 6 February 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:29, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
- Image:RBSA New Street.jpg was uncategorized on 6 February 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:29, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
- You are too quick, Mr Bot. Done. Oosoom Talk 14:10, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
|File:Hafod Fadog plaque.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
- Deleted by admin after listing for reasons of copyright concerns of plaque and/or wording. Oosoom Talk 10:11, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
There seems to be a problem regarding the description and/or licensing of this particular file. It has been found that you've added in the image's description only a Template that's not a license and although it provides useful information about the image, it's not a valid license. Could you please resolve this problem, adding the license in the image linked above? You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file. This page may give you more hints on which license to choose. Thank you.
This message was added automatically by Nikbot, if you need some help about it please read the text above again and follow the links in it, if you still need help ask at the → Commons:Help desk in any language you like to use. --Nikbot 10:00, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
- Licence inadvertantly hidden by braces dropped in previous edit. Now fixed. Oosoom Talk 10:09, 10 September 2012 (UTC)