TUSC token 0b540696c26c9c687448533602a27d37
I am now proud owner of a TUSC account!
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:HainanYellowLanternChili.jpg was uncategorized on 20 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:26, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:SuffosionSinkholeFormation.jpg was uncategorized on 21 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 14:16, 22 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:IbnBattatuEffendi.jpg was uncategorized on 1 April 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:54, 2 April 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Ewobeerlabel19451946.jpg was uncategorized on 12 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:19, 13 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:EWO1920Ad2.jpg was uncategorized on 12 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:19, 13 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:WilliamJardine&JamesMatheson.jpg was uncategorized on 12 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:19, 13 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:EWObeerposter1930.jpg was uncategorized on 12 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:19, 13 June 2011 (UTC)
|File:EWO1920Ad2.jpg has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may find Commons:Copyright rules useful. You can ask questions about Commons policies in Commons:Help desk.
Wikimedia Commons takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing.
EWO and Co.
Hi Philg88! My guess would be that you should move the images under fair use to en-wiki for keeping. Let me know when you are done, I'll delete the media here. Sorry, I really like that advertising. --Hedwig in Washington (mail?) 21:07, 31 August 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Hedwig in Washington. Yes, these adverts are really cool and perfectly reflect the spirit of the age. Since EWO Brewery ceased to exist sometime in the 1950s I would argue that copyright in the images vanished with it. That said, I'm happy to move all related files to en.wikipedia but, (blushes) I don't know how to do that. Best, Philg88 (talk) 06:58, 1 September 2013 (UTC)
I had a quick look at the en.wikipedia user page of the individual who requested the speedy delete. I quote another editor's comment: "I appreciate your enthusiasm but looking through your recent edits, your nominations for deletion still give me pause and you AfD's are creating a lot of unnecessary work for the community." On reflection, I think the files should stay on commons. Is there a Wikimedia person who can give an opinion as to what happens to a company's copyright on its dissolution where there is no successor in law? Best, Philg88 (talk) 07:27, 1 September 2013 (UTC)
- Sure. You can do two things: Ask at the Village Pump or nominate all files for deletion and see what happens. I'd go with the village pump. --Hedwig in Washington (mail?) 15:55, 1 September 2013 (UTC)
Warring States of China Image
I work for The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, and we are planning on using the following image for a video for our Terra Cotta Warriors Exhibit:
In the attribution of the image, should I attribute to you or Benjamin Trovato? I was planning on attributing to you, but I wanted to clarify, in case anything else was needed.
- Hi there, You're welcome to use that map and if you like I can upload an alternative format (PNG or similar). The file was uploaded by Benjamin Trovato because at the time I was in China and unable to upload anything and he kindly stepped in. If you want to email me instead of posting here you can do that via my Wikipedia email here. Best Regards, Philg88 (talk) 17:15, 8 October 2013 (UTC)