User talk:Ranger Steve
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Hello, Ranger Steve!
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Lower Rhine Operations.svg was uncategorized on 23 January 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:00, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Arnhem liberation.jpg was uncategorized on 23 January 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:00, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
- Image:68pdr smoothbore.jpg was uncategorized on 8 May 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:45, 9 May 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Bouldnor.jpg was uncategorized on 1 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:33, 2 November 2011 (UTC)
Hi Ranger Steve,
That's awesome, this is the first time someone's asked me about using one of my images at a physical site vs. online or in a book and I'm open to the idea, especially given that this is something accessible to the public. I'm curious, does this park have a website? I would like to be able to link to it if possible to show that the image is used outside of a Wikimedia project. BrokenSphere 19:43, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- How about we see how the image can be used first and if it is used. Linking to where it's used would be nice, but isn't necessary and I don't want to put you in a difficult position over this. BrokenSphere 21:14, 14 July 2010 (UTC)