More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator (find an active one) on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:92-97 Aerostar SWB.jpg was uncategorized on 9 December 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:55, 10 December 2010 (UTC)
- Image:1998 Escort wagon.jpg was uncategorized on 9 December 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:55, 10 December 2010 (UTC)
- Image:1998 Escort rear.jpg was uncategorized on 9 December 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:55, 10 December 2010 (UTC)
It has been a while since I made most of the county maps, so I am a bit fuzzy on particulars. I did use Paint and do a lot of erasing, as well as adding color and moving labels if they were outside the county to start. I also had some standard elements I added (pasted) to each map (the north arrow and the key). The Pennsylvania maps were the only ones where I did colors. I also did maps for all counties or parishes in Rhode Island and North Carolina and Louisiana, and a few other county maps too (I may have forgotten a state too).
If you are using the same source I did, I would stop for now. The source I used was for the 2000 Census, so there will be some changes - CDPs for sure, and some border changes for county subdivisions seem likely too. I would wait for the 2010 maps to be put online.
As for the size, I used the PDF size feature and then did screen capture as the image source. I used a standard PDF size (maybe 200%) for most maps in a state, though if there was a lot of detail I went bigger (Allegheny County in Pennsylvania is one example). On a PC Print Screen is done by pressing Control and Prnt Scrn at the same time. Hope this helps, Ruhrfisch (talk) 02:19, 19 August 2011 (UTC)