More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel irc:wikimedia-commons #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons talk:Licensing.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Wikimedia Commons has a specific scope
Thank you for your contributions. Your image or other content was recently deleted, or will soon be deleted, in accordance with our process and policies, because it was not, or is not, within our scope. Please review our project scope, but in short, Commons is targeted at educational media files including photographs, diagrams, animations, music, spoken text and video clips. The expression “educational” is to be understood according to its broad meaning of “providing knowledge; instructional or informative”. Wikimedia Commons does not contain text articles like encyclopedia articles, textbooks, news, word definitions and such. Each of these other kinds of content have their own projects: Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikinews, Wiktionary and Wikiquote.
If the content seems to fit the scope of one of those other projects, please consider contributing it there. If you think that the deletion was in error because the contribution really was in scope, you can appeal it at Commons:Undeletion requests, giving a reason why it fits our scope to help others evaluate the matter. Thank you for your understanding. — Mike.lifeguard | @en.wb 03:13, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
Thank you for providing images to Wikimedia Commons. Please keep in mind that images uploaded to Commons should be useful to all users of Wikimedia projects. This is possible only if the images can be found by other people.
To allow others to find the images you uploaded here, the images should be in some place that can be found by navigating the category structure. This means that you should put the images into appropriate topic pages, categories, optionally galleries, or both of them (see Commons:Categories). To find good categories for your images, the CommonSense tool may help.
You can find a convenient overview of your uploaded files in this gallery.
The important point is that the images should be placed in the general structure somewhere. There are a large number of completely unsorted images on Commons right now. If you would like to help to place some of those images where they can be found, please do!
- Image:Andy 1.jpg is uncategorized since 29 November 2008. BotMultichillT (talk) 11:14, 30 November 2008 (UTC)
- Image:Andy 3.jpg is uncategorized since 29 November 2008. BotMultichillT (talk) 11:14, 30 November 2008 (UTC)
- Image:SpiderSE.JPG is uncategorized since 12 December 2008. BotMultichillT (talk) 14:13, 13 December 2008 (UTC)
- Image:RRoyceRH.jpg was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
- Image:GreenLnRH.jpg was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
- Image:SureStartRH.jpg was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
- Image:NursesHomeRH.jpg was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
- Image:OldCollegeRH.jpg was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
- Image:Derby Former Baseball Ground Commemoration by Denis O'Connor.JPG was uncategorized on 28 September 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:24, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Hemsby, Norfolk, Methodist Church.jpg was uncategorized on 18 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:57, 19 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Hemsby, Norfolk, Barn Room.jpg was uncategorized on 18 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:57, 19 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Hemsby, Norfolk, St Mary the Virgin SE aspect.jpg was uncategorized on 18 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:57, 19 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Hemsby, Norfolk, St Mary the Virgin and war memorial.jpg was uncategorized on 18 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:57, 19 July 2011 (UTC)
I have added missing categories to most of the above but the two files with "Andy" in the title are to be deleted. Can you tell me how best to do this?
At File:OldCollegeRH.jpg you say "formally Girls School." Is that really "formally", as in "that is the formal (proper) name for it," or did you mean to write "formerly" (in which case please edit accordingly, since I won't be watching your talk page). - Jmabel ! talk 23:26, 8 September 2009 (UTC)
Just a quick note about putting files into categories. Where for example a file may fit into Category:Church windows in England, there would be no need to categorise it also under Category:Church windows as the latter is made superfluous by the more specific category. Thus a file in Category:Oakham would not need to go in Category:Towns and villages in Rutland.
Furthermore we are attempting to categorise them by date. This is done by when the photograph was taken and not when it was uploaded. So for example a picture of Gateshead taken in May 2010 would go into Category:2010 in Tyne and Wear and Category:May 2010 in England. Where there are enough files the county is also broken down by month (however as yet this is only done with the Greater Manchester, Isle of Wight, London, Merseyside and West Yorkshire).
Any problems, then give us a shout.
That winged lion is so cute, it's really a shame a stray w got into its name (and repeated in the corbel article):
File:Widmwerpool Church Winged Lion.JPG
Thyanks. Article spelling corrected. RH