Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Kanuka closeup.jpg was uncategorized on 4 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 17:51, 5 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Wild blackberry in NZ bush.jpg was uncategorized on 5 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 20:53, 6 June 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for vectorizing Alexander Liholiho's signature for me! Could you check out Commons:Graphic Lab/Illustration workshop#Signatures and see if you could vectorize anyone of them? Thanks in advance!!!--KAVEBEAR (talk) 03:29, 22 August 2011 (UTC)
- I'm a bit busy at the moment, but if it's still open when I'm done with my current work, I wouldn't mind pitching in. sonia 05:32, 22 August 2011 (UTC)
Amazing Race map
A barnstar for you!
|The Photographer's Barnstar|
also... this is actually part of mediawiki now? LOL. – Gurch 21:17, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- what is this I don't even. sonia 21:20, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
Wikidata logo proposal
Thank you a lot for your Wikidata logo submissions. We will start the voting next week. Each logo can have a short text next to it on the voting page to explain the idea behind the logo. If you want to have that for your logo please add it to the logo's page and I'll then add it to the voting page.
- Thank you! I felt it was attractive (mathematical patterns always are!) and meaningful, but there are some other soundly good ones there. sonia 17:51, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
You! Long time no see, and all of a sudden you're on my watchlist at a page I only learned about two days ago. We need to catch up. I'll be on IRC this time tomorrow, I think. (and several hours before this time tomorrow). Cheers, Sven Manguard Wha? 03:13, 30 July 2012 (UTC)
- Will see what I can do! Email/poke me nearer the time; my usual internet connection hates IRC. sonia 03:20, 30 July 2012 (UTC)
Notification of Wikivoyage logo contest
Hello Sonia. You are receiving this message because you contributed one or more proposal(s) to the Wikidata logo contest held a few months ago. Please be aware that a new competition is being held to design a logo for the Wikimedia Foundation's newest project, Wikivoyage, a free travel guide wiki. Suggestions for designs have already begun, and will run through until about 1 November when voting will begin. The contest is described in more detail here. Feel free to enter any designs into the contest that abide by the guidelines listed at the top of the page. All the best, JamesA (talk) 08:19, 22 October 2012 (UTC)
Picture of the Year voting round 1 open
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2012 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2012. Voting is open to established Wikimedia users who meet the following criteria:
- Users must have an account, at any Wikimedia project, which was registered before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC].
- This user account must have more than 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC]. Please check your account eligibility at the POTY 2012 Contest Eligibility tool.
- Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another SUL-related Wikimedia project (for other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL).
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.
To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2012 page on Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons celebrates our featured images of 2012 with this contest. Your votes decide the Picture of the Year, so remember to vote in the first round by January 30, 2013.
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
Source of derivative work is not properly indicated: File:Playign cards-biju.jpg
|This media may be deleted.|
|A file that you have uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, File:Playign cards-biju.jpg, is a derivative work, containing an "image within an image". Examples of such works would include a photograph of a sculpture, a scan of a magazine cover, or a map that has been altered from the original. In each of these cases, the rights of the creator of the original must be considered, as well as those of the creator of the derivative work.
While the description page states who made this derivative work, it currently doesn't specify who created the original work, so the overall copyright status is unclear. If you did not create the original work depicted in this image, you will need to specify the owner of the copyright.
Please edit the file description and add the missing information, or the file may be deleted. If you created the original content yourself, enter this information as the source. If someone else created the content, the source should be the address to the web page where you found it, the name and ISBN of the book you scanned it from, or similar. You should also name the author, provide verifiable information to show that the content is in the public domain or has been published under a free license by its author, and add an appropriate template identifying the public domain or licensing status, if you have not already done so.
Editor @ ar.wiki
Hello. I would like to inform you that I have granted you editor flag at the Arabic Wikipedia, all your edits there will be automatically marked as patrolled. Best regards.--Avocato (talk) 07:29, 6 December 2013 (UTC)