User talk:Sparky Marmot
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator (find an active one) on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
-- 10:27, 7 June 2011 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Hello, Sparky Marmot!
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:HAGAM HenryVI Statue.jpg was uncategorized on 25 August 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:34, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
- Image:SilverVessel FrancisSkidmore HAGAM.jpg was uncategorized on 28 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 03:56, 30 September 2011 (UTC)
Sparky Marmot, Thank for contributing to Commons. I have made a few changes to File:Candlesticks FrancisSkidmore HAGAM.jpg so that the description is more localizable. I am not clear about what "source=own, author = Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Coventry". Does it mean that the photograph was taken by you or by the museum ? (I you work for the musuem, I think it would be clearer to add that to you user page).--Zolo (talk) 15:45, 20 November 2011 (UTC)