More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Thank you for providing images to Wikimedia Commons. Please keep in mind that images and other files on Commons must be under a free license and should be useful to the Wikimedia projects. To allow others to use your files, some additional information must be given on the description page. Most importantly:
- Describe what it is about in a short sentence. (What does the image show?)
- State the author and the date of creation. If you made it yourself, say so explicitly. If it is from another Wikimedia user, link to the person's local user page. Best to use CommonsHelper.
- If you did not create the file yourself, state the source you got it from.
- Add a copyright tag - images without an appropriate license tag will be deleted.
- Add the image to one or more gallery pages and/or appropriate categories, so it can be found by others. To find out where an image belongs, you can use CommonsSense.
If you copied the file from another wiki, please copy all information given there and say who uploaded it to that wiki. Use CommonsHelper.
You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file.
Please add as much information as possible. If there is not sufficient information, the file may have to be deleted. For more information, follow the Commons:First steps guide. If you need help or have questions, please ask at the Help desk.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 06:24, 10 April 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Graphite unit cell.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Graphite unit cell rotations.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Diamond crystal interior.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Sod chlor crystal.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Graphite crystal ex1.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Graphite crystal ex2.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Diamond crystal.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Sodium chloride crystal front face.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Salt.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Graphite crystal.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Diamond crystal faces.png is uncategorized since 9 April 2009.
- Image:Linalg hom R2 R1 additivity 2.png is uncategorized since 21 April 2009.
- Image:Linalg prob III 2 2 7 inverses.png is uncategorized since 21 April 2009.
- Image:Linalg many to one.png is uncategorized since 21 April 2009.
- Image:Linalg proj R3 R2.png is uncategorized since 21 April 2009.
- Image:Linalg bean nullspace.png is uncategorized since 21 April 2009.
- Image:Linalg lake champlain.png is uncategorized since 28 April 2009.
- Image:Linalg parallelogram 2.png is uncategorized since 15 June 2009.
- Image:Linalg resisters in parallel 2.png is uncategorized since 3 July 2009.
- Image:Icon placement.png was uncategorized on 16 April 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:56, 17 April 2010 (UTC)
- Image:MW-edit-button.png was uncategorized on 19 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 19:43, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
|File:Linalg angle bisection.png has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
TUSC token 57657734ddb720df884907fe16229122
I am now proud owner of a TUSC account! How unusual...
A useful response form the village pump
- You can do this yourself by taking the following steps:
- First, make sure that the English Wikipedia images have been properly licensed under a suitably free licence. Commons will accept images that have been released into the public domain by the copyright owners, or those licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License or a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) or Attribution ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) licence.
- Next, if you want to do the transfer yourself, apply for a TUSC password here.
- Finally, use the CommonsHelper tool to transfer the image from Wikipedia over to the Commons. You will need to type your TUSC user ID and password into the online form.
- Edit each image description page to make sure that the information about the image is correct, and categorize the image.
- If this too fiddly for you, or you need assistance with any of the above stages, leaving a message here with a link to the file on Wikipedia will suffice. Some helpful editor will come along and lend a hand. — Cheers, JackLee –talk– 09:49, 7 May 2010 (UTC)
There seems to be a problem regarding the description and/or licensing of this particular file. It has been found that you've added in the image's description only a Template that's not a license and although it provides useful information about the image, it's not a valid license. Could you please resolve this problem, adding the license in the image linked above? You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file. This page may give you more hints on which license to choose. Thank you.