User talk:Väsk/Archive 2009
- 1 Administrative notice
- 2 De-Admined
- 3 Churches in...
- 4 Macaronesia
- 5 Category:Vladimir Putin in Minsk
- 6 Delete
- 7 Category:Train stations in Higashimurayama
- 8 File:AMNH-exterior.jpg
- 9 Tip: Categorizing images
- 10 File:Biblioteksbyggnader, Bokmagasin bredvid läsesalen i British museum, Nordisk familjebok.png
- 11 Nordisk Familjebok bilder
- 12 Åtorp
- 13 Removed category University of Copenhagen
- 14 Category:Sofia Albertina
- 15 File:En-Wikinews-Google_planning_PayPal_rival.ogg
Dear Väsk/Archive 2009. I am writing to you to inform you that because of inactivity, you may lose your adminship on Commons.
If you want to keep your adminship, you have to sign at Commons:Administrators/Inactivity section within 30 days. Note that if you don't make 5 admin actions in the following 5 months, you will then lose the adminship anyways.
Hi Väsk/Archive 2009. Because you have been inactive for a long period and you have not signed at this page in the last month you lost your adminship on Commons (->meta-request). If you want to be sysop again, please start a new RfA.
Thank you for your long and helpfull work on Commons! abf /talk to me/ 12:52, 11 March 2008 (UTC)
You have added category Churches in Lesser Poland to many of my pictures. I thought you meant historical region. For me it was a bit strange and unnecessary (in Poland nobody cares if he lives in a part of Lesser Poland historical region, or not) but I did nothing. However I've seen that yesterday you have started to add category Churches in Holy Cross. So, you have meant voivodeship? If yes, then you have categorized my pictures wrong. Almost all of them (including e.g. this and this and that) are churches lies in Holy Cross Voivodeship. I appreciate if you correct those categories. Thank you in advance. Jakubhal (talk) 07:15, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks for your notice. To be honest, I was quite confused with the Polish subdivisions at first, they are not very intiuitively explained here on Wikimedia Commons. I initially thought that the subcategories of Category:Churches in Poland by region where about the historical regions because of their confusing and ambigous names. I have now understood that they are indeed about the current voivodships. Ideally, the names of the categories should be changed to something less ambigous, to avoid images getting erronously categorized in the future. Väsk (talk) 10:51, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
- You can use this category as a reference. Most of the pictures you have recategorized, were stored in its subcategories. I think Churches in Poland by region should have its name changed to "Churches in Poland by voivodship", because indeed it is now confusing. Regards Jakubhal (talk) 15:18, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
There is a category tree which starts at Ecozones -- the intention of this "tree" was to be separate from whatever was going on at the categories which were attempting to separate the natural world (geography, animals, plants, climate) into the man-made political divisions (such as Canada and Haiti) due to several problems, extremes in differences in the land alloted to the separate political divisions being the most obvious (and the reason I chose these two political divisions as an example).
I had wanted to have the maps for these areas available at the upper portion of this category which is what brings me here. Individual images of plant and animal species were to be placed at the smallest division per location. So, that flower image would go to the flora of whatever island category it was photographed at.
I made this tree as a response to problems I had in making range maps for species I was writing articles about. I do not have a specific example right now, but if a species was found on the Canary Islands and also in parts of Russia, to use the political divisions for this simply lacked sanity and was not informative (the land area problem). Since the tree was made, the "Plants of" categories was merged. The information that I have about this merge is that the decision was made without a concensus by unknown people -- people/users who are still unwilling to come forward and admit that they are responsible for the merge. The merge is being inforced by people who claim to have not agreed with it (if necessary, I can dig this information out of the idiotic talk logs about it). I am so not liking working with people who are unwilling to be responsible and clean up messes that give the appearance that the intelligence level of the user base here is so small. (please excuse this -- I am angry and prone to ranting about it).....
What I would like is for you to look at the tree that started to exist from Ecozones and see if it makes sense to you before recategorizing things like those maps. -- carol (talk) 08:05, 22 November 2008 (UTC)
- Another interesting thing about that merge was that there are other subcategories which needed attention (ie. "Trees of" which should all be considered as "Plants of" which existed and still exist). It is another problem with that merge that I have, it is an example of the huge mess that was seemingly thoughtlessly merged into something that was a little messy but comparitively perfect. -- carol (talk) 08:28, 22 November 2008 (UTC)
- I'm working on cleaning up the categories here on commons, which includes creating pages for categories that currently are red links. I found Category:Maps of Macaronesia and categorized it. Based on en:Macaronesia, one would assume that Macaronesia is collective name for all the small Atlantic islands near Europe and Africa, hence I assumed that it would be natural to make Madeira, Cape Verde etcetera subcategories of Category:Macaronesia. Also, if there is a category named "Maps of Macaronesia", its natural for it to contain our maps of Macaronesia.
- I realize that those working on the natural world often disagree with the rest of the Commons community when it comes to categorizing. I find it a bit confusing that there is a completely separate tree based on Ecozones, but I really don't want to dwelve into these matters right now. I don't really understand how you would categorize instead, but I won't object if you recategorize the images as you see fit. Väsk (talk) 10:18, 22 November 2008 (UTC)
- Actually, I did not disagree with the tree that was here, it just failed at so many points for the scientific applications that the images and the maps which are hosted here should be useful for. The fact that I could not determine a use for "Plants of <whatever very large area>" did not mean to me that there was not a use for them. When none of the interested parties here was able or willing or in the mood to provide a use for them, it still did not cause me to think that there was not a use for them, especially when so many people have used the tree and even sometimes aggressively protected them. It is the reason that I made another tree -- to give ample time to those who are managing things here time to figure out what it was good for.
- I have no use for undoing the actions of others; such a task would give me time to think about not doing such a thing again, but I didn't do this so it is a wasted good experience on me. I also have my own little messes here to clean up, time spent that will be a good experience.
- Before that merge happened, I asked the user responsible for a small merge of the Caribbean categories if they knew before the merge which islands were included in what is not actually a political division called "the Caribbean" and answering that question was avoided by that user in a way that made me think that they had no idea. For that area, there are some islands that are close to the continent South America and with the divisions I am using considered to be in a different part of the Neotropic (neither South America nor the Neotropic are political divisions; South America is a land mass and I have no idea if that includes neighboring islands).
- Several decades of working "with people" these last five or six years of having people work against me for no logical reason has been (for me) cruel and unwelcome. Yet, (I think) I am still working alone on this Ecozone project and on what in the end will be an easier way for contributors to upload plant species images and get them to the right place in four taxonomy trees. That being clearly stated, the plan was to define each area that came from the Ecozones so that at least the people managing things here (and also contributors) would not look foolish when asked a question like "What islands are included in "the Caribbean" here? The political divisions are a pain because some are still politically belonging to countries in Europe and such, yet the Dutch Antillies (or whatever that group of islands are) is nothing like the Netherlands in climate, geology and species that live there -- many of those things that can't vote or run for political position....
- When I became involved with GNU stuff, it was not for so many of the things that have happened since then. I suspect that I am not the only one.
- I am not going to undo what you have done; I am just here trying to pass along my thoughts and what I have learned and an attempt to explain what I was doing when I made that separate tree. If you can determine who caused that merge, I will be grateful to know. This world does not need any more nameless, faceless and unaccountable leaders, it does need more who are willing to stand with their actions and provide the reasoning that motivated them. To me and from what I see, the species which are humans has devolved so much and so quickly since 2003. -- carol (talk) 05:56, 27 November 2008 (UTC)
|Category discussion notification||Category:Vladimir Putin in Minsk has been listed at Commons:Categories for discussion so that the community can discuss ways in which it should be changed. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this category, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for discussion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it. If the category is up for deletion because it has been superseded, consider the notion that although the category may be deleted, your hard work (which we all greatly appreciate) lives on in the new category.
Please, can you delete these images?.....
- I'm sorry, I don't have the authority or tools to delete images. I'd suggest that you make a deletion request. Väsk (talk) 18:09, 5 January 2009 (UTC)
|File deletion warning||Category:Train stations in Higashimurayama has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 06:22, 31 January 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Areometer, fig 2, Nordisk familjebok.png is uncategorized since 30 January 2009. BotMultichillT 06:22, 31 January 2009 (UTC)
Thank you for providing images to Wikimedia Commons. Please keep in mind that images and other files on Commons must be under a free license and should be useful to the Wikimedia projects. To allow others to use your files, some additional information must be given on the description page. Most importantly:
- Describe what it is about in a short sentence. (What does the image show?)
- State the author and the date of creation. If you made it yourself, say so explicitly. If it is from another Wikimedia user, link to the person's local user page. Best to use CommonsHelper.
- If you did not create the file yourself, state the source you got it from.
- Add a copyright tag - images without an appropriate license tag will be deleted.
- Add the image to one or more gallery pages and/or appropriate categories, so it can be found by others. To find out where an image belongs, you can use CommonsSense.
If you copied the file from another wiki, please copy all information given there and say who uploaded it to that wiki. Use CommonsHelper.
You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file.
Please add as much information as possible. If there is not sufficient information, the file may have to be deleted. For more information, follow the Commons:First steps guide. If you need help or have questions, please ask at the Help desk.
Nordisk Familjebok bilder
Ser att du nyligen har laddat upp diverse Ugglanbilder. Ville bara tipsa om User:Lokal Profil/Uggla som gor det latt att fylla i all information. Historik parametern ar bara till for ifall bilden ar importerad via en annan wiki. Glom bara inte att substa =) /Lokal_Profil 12:23, 3 February 2009 (UTC)
- Hade vist redan plockat bort historik parametern (efter att alla sv.wiki och en.wiki ugglanbilder forts over). Sa mallen ar annu enklare att anvanda /Lokal_Profil 12:35, 3 February 2009 (UTC)
Removed category University of Copenhagen
You have removed the category University of Copenhagen from the following four files:
- I moved the images to a separate sub-category: Category:Center for Sundhed og Samfund. I assumed that CfSS is an institution at the University of Copenhagen. Väsk (talk) 19:56, 23 March 2009 (UTC)
|Category:Sofia Albertina has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this category, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
|File:En-Wikinews-Google_planning_PayPal_rival.ogg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
-Nard the Bard 02:45, 7 November 2009 (UTC)