The ruined mansion within the theme park. Building work on the house began in 1814 for the Earl of Shrewsbury (pictured 1994)
Called Alton Lodge during its early life,this was the summer residence for the Earl of Shrewsbury and his family. Charles, the 15th Earl, began to extend it in 1800, with major work being done or planned every year until 1852.
2006: The Ramblers' Retreat, now a popular tea room in the Churnet Valley, was once a lodge for the 16th Earl of Shrewsbury's Alton Towers estate.