English:Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley (1848) by the Americans Ephraim George Squier and Edwin Hamilton Davis is a landmark in American scientific research, the study of the prehistoric indigenous mound builders of North America, and the early development of archaeology as a scientific discipline. It was the first publication by the Smithsonian Institution. The book had 306 pages, 48 lithographed maps and plates, and 207 wood engravings.
As well as the 48 lithograph plates, the book contained 207 woodcut engravings.
English: Figure 142, page 243. Human effigy pipe made of hard, compact, black stone, with holes in the headdress for pearls. Excavated from Mound 8 (the "Altar Mound") at Mound City, Chillicothe, Ohio.