goddess of wisdom in Greek mythology
|Instance of|| Twelve Olympians,|
|Said to be the same as|| |
In Greek mythology, Athena (also spelt Athene, Attic: Ἀθηνᾶ, Athēnâ or Ἀθηναία, Athēnaía, Epic: Ἀθηναίη, Athēnaíē, Ionic: Ἀθήνη, Athḗnē, Doric: Ἀθάνα, Athána;) is the goddess of wisdom, peace, warfare, strategy, handicrafts and reason, shrewd companion of heroes and the goddess of heroic endeavour. She is the virgin patron of Athens, which built the Parthenon to worship her. Information from the English Wikipedia Athena.
The Roman deity Minerva is thought to share a common root with Athena, coming to Italy (it is thought), via Etruria. For this reason depictions of both Anthena and Minerva often show many similarities. See English Wikipedia Minerva.
This is a main category for Greek goddess Athena and her Roman parallel Minerva in New time. For Ancient Roman depictions of Minerva please use Category:Minerva, but for images of both Athena and Minerva in post-antique media please use sub-categories of category:Athena, such as Category:Paintings of Athena and category:Post-antique statues of Athena.
This category has the following 20 subcategories, out of 20 total.
- ► Birth of Athena (1 C, 8 F)
- ► Athena in drawings (71 F)
- ► Athena in emblems (4 C, 21 F)
- ► Owl of Athena (5 C, 34 F)
- ► Temples of Athena (21 C, 2 F)
Media in category "Athena"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
- A-ta-na-po-ti-ni-ja.svg 810 × 178; 2 KB
- ACROPOLE DE LINDOS Franck Devedjian.jpg 3,000 × 2,167; 727 KB
- Athena at the Louvre.jpg 2,448 × 3,264; 637 KB
- Athena Plaque on Classic Center.JPG 3,072 × 2,304; 3.1 MB
- Athena, rivista d'arte, lisbona, imprensa libanio da silva, 1924-25.jpg 1,476 × 1,980; 2.05 MB
- Bronze vessel, head of Athena, Crete, 100-300 AD, AM Ag. Nikolaos, 0502011.jpg 1,087 × 1,631; 986 KB
- Handbook of archaeology, Egyptian - Greek - Etruscan - Roman (1867) (14594621800).jpg 1,892 × 2,112; 724 KB
- JamesGBennetMemorialPA.jpg 4,411 × 4,608; 15.83 MB
- Specchio inciso con giudizio di paride, 350-300 ac ca. 02.jpg 1,660 × 1,948; 2.7 MB