Эта страница на русском: Боровск
|Object location||View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap|
In 1610 a small company of soldiers led by prince Mikhailo Volkonsky, defended Borovsk from the Polish gangs of False Dmitriy II. The loyalists took their last stand in the Pafnutyev Monastery. According to the legend, Volkonsky (already wounded) was killed by Poles right inside the cathedral. The towns' coat of arms, granted by Catherine II in 1777, commemorates this episode. The heart charged with a cross is a symbol of purity in spirit.
Borovsk was founded on the steep right bank of the Protva River. The town developed primarily to the south of the old citadel. Isolated suburbs (slobodas) developed to the west (across the Tekizha Creek Ravine) and to the north and east, across the Protva.
The small Tekizhe Creek flows into the Protva east of the old town, in a grand natural ravine. It forms the natural border of the city core, separating it from the eastern suburb.
No traces of ancient fortresses survived to date. The old Kremlin Hill is scarcely built out, and most of these small buildings are occupied by the town hall and district court.
Lenin Square, the former Market Square, stands immediately south-west of Kremlin Hill. To date, the square remains the shopping center of the town - there are no modern "shopping plazas" or big label supermarkets. The Square is also home to local museum and library. There are monuments to Lenin, philosopher Nikolay Fyodorov and a small World War Two memorial cemetery.
Streets of the core town (west to east)
Historically, Borovsk was a town of die-hard Old Believers.
Cathedral of the Annunciation (Moscow Patriarchy)
Church of St. Boris and Gleb (Moscow Patriarchy)
Church of the Entry (former Old Believers, now Moscow Patriarchy)
Church of the Exaltation of the Cross (Moscow Patriarchy)
Church of the Intercession (Moscow Patriarchy)
Church of the Transfiguration (Moscow Patriarchy)
Cathedral of All Saints (former Old Believers, now secularized)
Cathedral of the Intercession (Old Believers)
The Center of Arts in the former Cathedral of All Saints
Folk art commune in the former Shokin House
Typical small single-family homes
Larger wooden houses on brick basements
Borovsk has more murals than Belfast. Almost all of these murals were created in the 2000s by local artist Vladimir Ovchinnikov (http://vladiov.narod.ru/), mostly in grisaille. Freedom of panorama prohibits hosting of his artwork per se, but hopefully these examples pass de minimis exemption:
Bridge and the church of St. Barbara