Category:4.7 inch Gallipoli gun at the Australian War Memorial

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
English: British QF 4.7-inch (120-mm) Mk IV naval gun No. 716, made by Elswick Ordnance Company (E.O.C.) in 1896. This gun was deployed on an improvised field carriage at ANZAC during the Battle of Gallipoli in 1915 and destroyed on the Allied evacuation. It was later moved back down to the beach by the Turks and abandoned. Postwar it was rediscovered on the beach and shipped to Australia, where the remains of the barrel is displayed at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra.