Category:55 Wall Street
The National City Bank Building at 55 Wall Street between William and Hanover Streets in the Financial District of downtown Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1836-41 as the Merchants' Exchange and was designed by Isaiah Rogers in the Greek Revival style. The United States Custom House moved into the building in 1862, with the conversion done by William A. Potter, and occupied it until 1907, after which it was purchased by National City Bank. Charles McKim of McKim, Mead & White was engaged to enlarge the building (1907-1910), including removing the dome, adding four floors and a second colonnade and gutting the interior, the main floor of which McKim redesigned with William S. Richardson. The old main banking hall has been used as a ballroom since 1998 and is now Cipriani Wall Street, and the remainder of the building is now condominium apartments, the Cipriani Club Residences. (Sources: Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.) and AIA Guide to NYC (5th ed.))
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Media in category "55 Wall Street"
The following 20 files are in this category, out of 20 total.
- 55-wall-street.jpg 234 KB