Category:Academy of Music (Philadelphia)
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: The Academy of Music at 240 S. Broad Street between Locust and Manning Streets in the Avenue of the Arts neighborhood of Center City, Philadelphia is a concert hall and opera house which was built in 1855-57 and is the oldest auditorium in the United States that is still used for its original purpose. A competition for the Academy's design was won by Napoleon LeBrun and Gustavus Runge, whose design was in the Renaissance Revival style. Known as the "Grand Old Lady of Broad Street," the venue is the home of the Pennsylvania Ballet and the Opera Company of Philadelphia. It was home to the Philadelphia Orchestra as well, from its inception in 1900 until 2001 when the orchestra moved to the new Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. The Philadelphia Orchestra still retains ownership of the Academy. The hall was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962.
Media in category "Academy of Music (Philadelphia)"
The following 37 files are in this category, out of 37 total.
- Academy of music.JPG 1.68 MB
- AcademyOfMusic1870.jpg 110 KB
- Phila AcademyofMusic01.jpg 946 KB
- Phila AcademyofMusicl01.JPG 1.66 MB
- Phila AcademyofMusicl02.JPG 870 KB
- Phila AcademyofMusicl03.JPG 4.03 MB
- Phila AcademyofMusicl04.JPG 1.39 MB
- Phila AcademyofMusicl05.JPG 970 KB
- Phila AcademyofMusicl06.JPG 1.66 MB