A village in Andhra Pradesh, entrance to Vaishnava pilgrimage sites
village in India
|Location||Allagadda mandal, Kurnool District, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Elevation above sea level|
Ahobilam is a village and the western-side entrance to a major South Indian pilgrimage site in the Nallamala forest and hills of Andhra Pradesh, India. The Ahobilam site is mentioned in the Vaishnavism-related Sanskrit Puranas and the Tamil texts such as the Kanchi-mahatyma as the Navanarasimha-kshetra pilgrimage site (nine Narasimha temples region). The site consists of the Lower Ahobilam that is closer to the plains and the village, and the Upper Ahobilam with nine temples in the hills and forest, all dedicated to Narasimha avatar of Vishnu in the context of Prahlada–Hiranyakasipu mythology (the Narasimha avatar is ancient, found in the Brahmana layer of the Vedas, c. 900 BCE). The nine Upper Ahobilam temples are the Ahobilanarasiṃha Swamy temple, the Yoganandanarasimha temple, the Bhargavanarasiṃha temple, the Chatravatanarasiṃha temple, the Pavananarasimha temple, the Karanjanarasimha temple, the Malolanarasimha temple, the Varahanarasimha temple and the Jvalanarasimha temple. The lower Ahobilam features the Prahladavarada temple at the foot of a hill.
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► Ahobila Narasimha Swamy Temple, Ahobilam (2 C, 48 F)
- ► Bhargava Narasimha Temple, Ahobilam (2 F)
- ► Jwala Narasimha Temple, Ahobilam (3 F)
- ► Karanja Narasimha Temple, Ahobilam (5 F)
- ► Malola Narasimha Temple, Ahobilam (5 F)
- ► Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple, Ahobilam (1 C, 94 F)
- ► Yogananda Narasimha Temple, Ahobilam (1 F)
Media in category "Ahobilam"
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.
- Ahobala trip 053.jpg 2,048 × 1,536; 1.16 MB
- Ahobilam (6369328525).jpg 3,264 × 4,928; 11.03 MB
- Ahobilam (6369770735).jpg 4,928 × 3,264; 15.08 MB
- Dirt road along Nallamala Forests near Ahobilam.jpg 3,614 × 2,536; 6.21 MB
- Nallamalla forests at Ahobilam 01.jpg 2,272 × 1,704; 2.69 MB
- Road near Ahobilam temple.jpg 1,024 × 768; 466 KB
- South Indian Images of Gods and Goddesses-Page No.25.jpg 518 × 800; 87 KB
- South Indian Images of Gods and Goddesses-Page No.27.jpg 451 × 800; 75 KB