Category:Altgeld Hall

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

Altgeld Hall of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, located at 1409 West Green Street in Urbana, Illinois, was built in 1896-97 and was designed by Nathan Clifford Ricker and James McLaren White of the University's architecture department, after the winner of a design competition was rejected because of his age, and a subsequent commission to noted architect Daniel Burnham fell through due to conflicts with Governor John Peter Altged. The Richardson Romanesque building was originally the University Library, and received major additions in 1914, 1919, 1926, and 1956. From 1927-55 it was used by the College of Law, and from 1955 on by the Department of Mathematics. The University Chime in the bell tower was installed in 1920, and the building was officially named "Altgeld Hall" in 1941. (Sources: [1] and [2])