Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: Aphrodite Pandemos was a complex deity with many dimensions. This aspect of Aphrodite is intricately bound up with the people of Athens—a connection exemplified in the epithet Pandemos, meaning "of or belonging to the people". The Athenians associated Aphrodite Pandemos with their legendary hero Theseus and sought her blessings in uniting the people of Athens socially and politically. Aphrodite Pandemos was also linked with Peitho (persuasion) in both art and cult. When the two were represented together in art and worshipped side by side, unification was generally the main theme and their powers were sought not only in love and marriage, but also in the political realm.
|Instance of||epithet (Aphrodite)|
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Venus vulgaire (Louvre, Ma 11) (3 F)
Media in category "Aphrodite Pandemos"
The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.
- Aphrodite Epitragia.jpg 1,075 × 907; 206 KB
- Aphrodite on a goat, terracotta, 400-350 BC, AM Thebes, 0112.jpg 1,005 × 1,232; 729 KB
- Aphrodite pandemos (or epitragia) (Louvre, CA 1324).jpg 2,112 × 2,816; 1.6 MB
- Aphrodite Pandemos.jpg 704 × 696; 112 KB
- Charles Gleyre - Venus Pandemos.jpg 600 × 600; 170 KB