Category:Ashot I of Iberia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
presiding prince of Iberia (modern Georgia)
|Name in native language||აშოტ I დიდი|
|Date of birth||8th century (statement with Gregorian date earlier than 1584)|
|Date of death||29 January 826|
|Place of burial|
English: Ashot I the Great (died 826) was a presiding prince of Iberia (modern Georgia), first of the Bagratid family to have attained to this office c. 813. From his base in Tao-Klarjeti, he fought to enlarge the Bagratid territories and sought the Byzantine protectorate against the Arab encroachment until being murdered c. 826. Ashot is also known as Ashot I Curopalates for the Byzantine title he wore. A patron of Christian culture and a friend of the church, he has been canonized by the Georgian Orthodox Church.
Media in category "Ashot I of Iberia"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- Aschot I. (Iberien).jpg 336 × 400; 95 KB
- Ashot I relief (2).jpg 1,271 × 2,964; 3.92 MB
- Ashot I relief.jpg 911 × 1,933; 1.48 MB
- Ashot kurapalati.JPG 603 × 338; 58 KB
- Ashot the Kuropalates.jpg 642 × 720; 15 KB
- Ashotkurapalatgeorgia.jpg 1,641 × 1,849; 1.3 MB
- Opiza bas-relief (Taqaishvili, 1905).JPG 759 × 453; 97 KB
- Simon Janashia Museum of Georgia 74.jpg 1,152 × 1,728; 983 KB
- موزه ملی تفلیس (36).jpg 4,000 × 2,666; 6.48 MB